_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
alclad help please
Dain_Bramaged
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 03:32 PM UTC
Please help!! I recently used alclad black base and chrome combination on a project to highlight some diamond plate. Iwas very pleased with the results, it is indeed a great product. However... I went to seal it with some tamiya clearcoat, and totally destroyed it. BAH!!!. Thought it would be ok since they were both oil based products, alas they are not compatible. Do I have to purchase some Alclad clear, or can I use something else. Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 11:46 PM UTC
Is the diamond plate plastic or metal?
bravo04tango
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
An acrylic floor Polish (such as Future ) works wonderfully. When airbrushed on it gives an excellent base for other oil based weathering products. And its cheap too. You get a huge bottle for about the cost of 2 rattlecans and its will last forever.
Dain_Bramaged
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
The plate is just patterned plastic. But I didn't prime the surface before I put down the base black for the chrome. Then as soon as I hit it with the clear it got all wrinkly and lifted from the surface. I thought about using the future for a sealer but I've never had much luck getting a good finish with it out of the airbrush. I mostly build armour and aircraft. This is my first attempt at a high gloss finish also with more than one colour and different carriers in the paints
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
Problem is, Alclad is a lacquer, and so is the Tamiya clearcoat, so basically the wet Tamiya softened the Alclad, and basically ruined it.

You would need to put a dissimilar clear coat over the alclad, like an acrylic.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:30 AM UTC
Oven cleaner is likely your best method of attack to clean everything up. Spray the oven cleaner on the painted area and then put it in a carrier bag and leave for 24hours, then use and old toothbrush to clean and remove any stubborn areas.
Dain_Bramaged
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
Thanks all. I will try the oven cleaner to revive the bad parts. If I seal the alclad with future can I go over that with a lacquer to seal it all once I am done painting or will the clear eat through the future. Should have tested it first I suppose.
Dain_Bramaged
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 10:38 AM UTC
Also. I have not had much luck at getting a great finish with future out of the airbrush. Running at between 10-15 psi still a little hazy looking like some of it is drying before it gets to the surface . Should I be able to get good coverage in one coat or does it take a few? I always seem to get it pooling in low areas. I love the stuff for decals and clear plastic, but I never get the finish like I do out of the can. I must be doing it wrong
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:52 AM UTC
It usually takes me 4-5 coats of Future to achieve a high gloss surface. Something you should consider is letting the coats cure, before applying the next coat. It seems that, as it dries it achieves a higher gloss. Alternatively, you can shoot one medium coat of Future. Let it cure. Then, you should be able to use enamel or lacquer. I prefer lacquer, as it produces a more uniform coat. I just decant the lacquer from Krylon high gloss spray paint. Hope this helps.
Dain_Bramaged
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks, will try tonight
mokush
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi!
All clearcote I tried (humbrol, tamiya, future) killed the perfect shine of alclad chrome. I asked the company what to use and they advised their own product (what a surpriese ) ALC600 Aqua Gloss. I gave it a try and it's perfect. Does not modify the look of the chrome.
Dain_Bramaged
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi!
All clearcote I tried (humbrol, tamiya, future) killed the perfect shine of alclad chrome. I asked the company what to use and they advised their own product (what a surpriese ) ALC600 Aqua Gloss. I gave it a try and it's perfect. Does not modify the look of the chrome.

I tried some future, testors, and humbrol It didn't lift the paint, but like you said it killed the shine. So I am off to the stores to get some alclad clear. Sometimes there are no substitutes I guess. Thanks all for the suggestions
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also. I have not had much luck at getting a great finish with future out of the airbrush. Running at between 10-15 psi still a little hazy looking like some of it is drying before it gets to the surface . Should I be able to get good coverage in one coat or does it take a few? I always seem to get it pooling in low areas. I love the stuff for decals and clear plastic, but I never get the finish like I do out of the can. I must be doing it wrong

You could try applying the Future with a Q-Tip or brush. I do that on model cars all the time. It is self leveling, so brush marks generally disappear.

_GOTOTOP