_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Pz. Kpfw. IIIJ
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 12:59 AM UTC
Jan Etal builds the Panzer IIIJ kit and compares it to the earlier released Panzer IIIN.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:11 AM UTC
Molded-on tools!? I thought that went out in the 1980s even with 1/72.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
@CMOT - Darren,

My thanks for getting this one published.

@JPTRR - Fred,

Quoted Text

Molded-on tools!? I thought that went out in the 1980s even with 1/72.

Yes indeed, Fred and this practice has been increasing with many of the more recent Dragon kits. At least with this kit we do see a separate jack (unlike the moulded on one that comes on the VK.45.02(P)H). However, there are around ten or so separate "items" (boxes, lights, spare road wheels etc.) that will sit on the fenders and are separate parts that in a few cases are positively tiny. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
Another nice review Jan. I was trying to figure out the difference between this and the Ausf.M that I built, and noticed that the entire Ausf.M specific sprue is included in this kit, with the wading mufflers and the different front plate with the transmission hatches. I think the other differences, apart from the whole muffler / rear plate thing, is the lack of spaced armour on the driver's plate - despite it being illustrated in the instructions - and the lack of covers over the vents on the engine deck (so at least you get to see the etched brass).

Moulded on tools and no spare track links - well, that was to be expected, and I do agree with you that these Pz III kits from Dragon, despite those shortcomings, are a cut above some of their other recent releases, in terms of finely moulded detail and a very good scale appearance when completed. And etched metal and a positionable commander's hatch too.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another nice review Jan. I was trying to figure out the difference between this and the Ausf.M that I built, and noticed that the entire Ausf.M specific sprue is included in this kit, with the wading mufflers and the different front plate with the transmission hatches.

Thank you Matthew and yes, I can confirm that those extra pieces are present and I noticed the mufflers right off.

Quoted Text

I think the other differences, apart from the whole muffler / rear plate thing, is the lack of spaced armour on the driver's plate - despite it being illustrated in the instructions - and the lack of covers over the vents on the engine deck (so at least you get to see the etched brass).

The front hull extra armour and even the mantlet piece were present in a bag in the box. The covers for the engine air inlets can also be found on the 'b' sprue. One could create quite a hybrid with all the additional parts.

Quoted Text

Moulded on tools and no spare track links - well, that was to be expected, and I do agree with you that these Pz III kits from Dragon, despite those shortcomings, are a cut above some of their other recent releases, in terms of finely moulded detail and a very good scale appearance when completed. And etched metal and a positionable commander's hatch too.

At three local shows I have had a number of people comment on the superb details of the moulding on the III N. Unfortunately, the missing detail pieces that you mention usually cause a sour face to show.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP