_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
AUF1 – SPH
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC
Seb Viale takes a look at and shares his thoughts on the HobbyBoss AUF1 – SPH.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the support Darren
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Seb. Some comments though.
The correct spelling of this vehicle is Au-F1 and it is not a SPH (howitzer) but a SPG (gun) with its 39 caliber gun.
Unlike what you wrote in the review, the French field artillery regiments (battalion size units for our US and UK members) were equipped with 32 guns and not 18. Each battery was organized into two fire platoons of 4 guns each.
The Au-F2 unfortunately never went further than the drawing board, the gun which should have replaced the 155 GCT (grande cadence de tir, high rate of fire) has been installed on the CAESAR currently in service with most of the French artillery regiments.
Even though HB look to have made their research they have been confused with the different types of chassis. The engine deck in the kit is typical of AMX30B2 chassis and not suitable for this version of Au-F1 based on a AMX30B chassis. Only the latest variant of Au-F1 was built on a B2 chassis.
Here is how the engine deck should look like with only three rounds caps, just right of the engine fan grill instead of four on the kit.

The other big mistake is the large bolted thing under the rear lower hull near the towing hook.
If you look at the picture below, it is not present.

This looks to be another late version feature.
Anyway, I'm glad to have the choice between two kits of recent standard.

Those who dislike the vinyl tracks can get a set of indy links tracks by Hobby Boss.

Olivier
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 07:24 PM UTC
Hello Seb, great review. Just one question: From what I have understood, Mengs is a superb kit, are you saying that Hobbyboss model is better from a detail perspective (speaking of the exterior that is)? You state in the beginning that the HB suspension is simplified and that there are no torsion bars, so I am confused as to how this supersedes the Meng kit in detail.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
Dear Sven, price and quality. You dont need the tension bars. I dont see the advantage of it. Tracks from Meng is a PITA. The assembly of the lateral panel as well as the engine deck on the Meng is complicated. Of course, you have the interior but after closing the casemate, you dont see much.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
So in conclusion, HB offer a better engineering model that the Meng.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC
Thanks for a good review. I have the Meng kit already, and although not much can be seen, I DO like the interior details.
Maybe those with deep pockets can do the ultimate kitbash?
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 10:35 AM UTC
Rob
You are right I will put the Meng interior into the HB one for sure.
This will be the perfect model with link by link from HB.
WELL if you can kitbash both kits you have cash for the fruil tracks. Right???
Drac67
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:12 PM UTC
Bonsoir Messieurs,

As a former artillery detachment commander, I would like to bring a technical point about the AU F1 GCT. It is a self-propelled howitzer and NOT a self-propelled gun. Why ? Because a howitzer is made to provide indirect fire on a target, with a secondary direct fire capability. A gun is made to bring direct (horizontal) fire on a target. So, the AU F1, the CAESAR, the M109, the Archer, the 2S7, are self-propelled howitzers. The Russian ASU-85 is a self-propelled gun. Hoping not appear too invasive... Best regards,

Marc
Platycqb
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hello,

Huge necropost.
So between the MENG and the HOBBY BOSS kits, which one is "better"?
Thanks!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
Having built the HB kit, I can tell it is full of flaws. You'd better go with the latest Meng Au -F1 TA which the best.
Platycqb
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having built the HB kit, I can tell it is full of flaws. You'd better go with the latest Meng Au -F1 TA which the best.

Thanks!
Even better, it's the cheapest boxing as well.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a former artillery detachment commander, I would like to bring a technical point about the AU F1 GCT. It is a self-propelled howitzer and NOT a self-propelled gun. Why ? Because a howitzer is made to provide indirect fire on a target, with a secondary direct fire capability. A gun is made to bring direct (horizontal) fire on a target.

Not really, both guns and howitzers are indirect artillery pieces; ie. cannons. Guns have long barrels and relatively flat trajectories; think M107 SPG (Self-Propelled Gun) or M40 GMC (Gun Motor Carriage). On the other hand, howitzers have short barrels and low-angled trajectories. You are correct that the pieces you listed are all howitzers.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 01:00 PM UTC
My understanding of the difference between gun and howitzer is the ratio tube length/caliber. From 32 or 35 and above (can't remember) it's a gun which makes the Au-F1 a gun and not a howitzer.
As an indirect fire supported one, never mind the name as long as the rounds hit the expected target
 _GOTOTOP