_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building RPM TK3 with etch questions
strangefellow
Visit this Community
Storstrøm, Denmark
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hi all

I recently got lured back into building models, something I haven't done for ages.

I decided to start with something that seemed simple; a TK-3 kit (the super set) from RPM with Aber photoetch.

I am having a bit of trouble with the hatches on the front plate. The super set comes with 2 different versions, and the etched hatches doesn't seem to fit either. The instructions for the etch never mentions anything about cutting out the existing ones.

Anyone ever tried this particulart build who can help?
I found another thread about the TK3 but the builder scratched the whole superstructure and front plate, something I would rather avoid.

My experience with etch is very limited, so maybe its just me not getting it.

Here is a link to abers instructions
http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/ddf437a9dd3ef174e62bda72da298aa2.pdf

maestromae
Visit this Community
Lodz, Poland
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:30 AM UTC
The super set allows you to build TKS, TK3 or TKW. For TK 3 you should use front plate with molded hatches. I think you should cut off the hatches, and use the photo etched one. The part without visible hatches is for TKS.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 04:41 PM UTC
Michael, you and I definitely have different definitions of "simple". Not only do you attempt to tackle an RPM kit, you try it with full PE!
strangefellow
Visit this Community
Storstrøm, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:53 PM UTC
Bob: yeah it turned out not to be as simple as I thought. I grossly underestimated PE. But hey you have to learn ;-) even though it costs some tears along the way.

Damian: I was working with that idea too, but the molded hatches are waaaay bigger than the PE ones.

Right now im thinking of a couple of solutions.

1: leave the standard hatches, as even though they are too big they are recessed, and just replace the molded hinges.

2: use the other front plate as the hatches fit thst one better, and modify the rest. The only thing is that I hqve to make recesses for the hatches. A bit daunting.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
Mike - here's a link to some reference pages that may help you out. I ran cross it when I did my TKS last year. There's a lot of info and pictures.

http://derela.republika.pl/tk.htm
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC
Awesome I Always liked this little vehicle... Funny enough I have started building this kit as well with the added extra that I at some point thought it to be a good idea to correct some angles according to drawings.. which led me to scratchbuilt the complete superstructure and combining it with the Aber PE. This is where I am more or less at now. Still looking for good sized rivets and the needed sanity reserve to put them on.

And the complete album can be seen here
TK3 by Robert Blokker
strangefellow
Visit this Community
Storstrøm, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
You guys are the greatest. Thank you so much. With these references I feel I can finally get to grips with this build. And Faust that is one amazing model, I have to envy your skills.

This is by far the most helpful community I've ever been a part of.
 _GOTOTOP