_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Highlighting with airbrush
Gogoman
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Okay so lets say that you have a cube (a large cube), you then look at the cube from a top view or a birds eye view. Now heres my question where would I apply highlights using an airbrush to this top face? All over the top, highlight the outer edges and leave the centre darker, or highlight the centre and leave the edges darker? Personally I think you would either highlight the whole face as all the face is at the same elevation, nothing is any higher than the other.
Incase you were wondering I needed to know where to highlight the outer edges of a tank, if you were looking at it from a top view, and Im confused.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Andrew,

What you're really asking about is Zenithal Lighting. This is a common term used by figure painters, but not so much by other modelers.

You can Google the term and get a lot of information about the concept. Basically, it's adding shadows and highlights with an understanding that the light creating them is coming from a single source, usually directly overhead, hence the term "zenithal" or zenith.

Once you know the correct term for this concept, you can find a lot of information on different techniques to achieve the effect and paint in shadows and highlights.

AFV modelers are only just really exploring and understanding the idea, but figure modelers have been painting shadows and highlights for decades and have developed a full body of information on the technique. So, not surprisingly, most of the information is to be found on figure modeler sites and how-to's. The basic ideas can be translated to armor models, though, once you understand them.

At any rate, here are some basic examples to give you an idea of what you're really talking about:

The concept in regards to model building is closely connected to the idea of "scale lighting," and painting in shadows and highlights is one of the techniques that can be used to overcome the limitations of scale lighting. Painting these effects is usually combined to incorporate some aspects of weathering, as well. But the end result is the same - compensation for the effects of scale lighting which makes the model look more "realistic" (i.e. it appears to be lighted as if it was a prototype and not a scale replica).

Scale lighting effects is also the reason why many model builders lighten the colors that they paint with. The intent is to replicate the appearance of the prototype as viewed from a distance rather than as viewed from a few inches.

Other finishing techniques that help to emphasize details and add contrast, such as washes (pin and general), dry brushing, and chipping (to name a few) also contribute to overcoming scale lighting effects (as well as being part of weathering).

There are many model builders who don't ascribe to these theories (scale lighting and the utility of painting shadows and highlights). However, many of these same modelers will use some painting techniques to overcome scale lighting all the while denying its existence or effects.

(The ol' "I don't believe in using anything but a perfect color match and none of that artsy-fartsy color modulation stuff either" crowd...)

Even among modelers who recognize the desirability of adding shadows and highlights, there is great debate over how much, how little, and the best techniques. In the end, you have to decide for yourself what looks best to your own eye.

HTH,
 _GOTOTOP