_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centaur Tank Used For Training
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC
I know all the British Centaur tanks were used for training or experiments; they were useless for combat. But I was wondering exactly how tank training worked in Britain, how the tanks and troops were used, etc. Where can I find out more?
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC
Centaurs were used in combat in reasonable numbers. I'm guessing you're thinking of either the Cavalier (the real lame duck of the Cromwell family) or the Covenanter?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC
Looks like a long term project...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1135197946/1135346444/Centaur+tank+project+reconsidered

H.P.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Centaurs were used in combat in reasonable numbers. I'm guessing you're thinking of either the Cavalier (the real lame duck of the Cromwell family) or the Covenanter?

Besides the CS tanks used in Normandy, I thought all the Centaurs were converted into AA gun or bulldozer or other-type tanks.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC

Original abandoned, lost in a basement flood, then a new one bought. This time I'd like to keep it as a CS version so I don't have to do big time modifications.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 08:14 AM UTC
The Centaur was used in combat, both in it's original 'Centaur' configuration and also as an ersatz Cromwell.

You'll see a lot written about Centaurs being re-engined with Meteor engines but in reality, the decision was taken before they left the factory and the Meteors were fitted at the build stage.

In some cases, the manufacturers made a decision themselves (English Electric made about 130 Liberty engined Centaurs from an order for some 1100 before deciding for whatever reason to fit the rest with the Meteor engine) whilst inothers they were instructed to do so.

The EE 'Cromwells' retained the weaker Centaur suspension and internal track adjustment mechanism but were virtually indistinguishable from 'full' Cromwells extrnally.

If you have the Tamiya Centaur kit then you could build it out of the box and call it a Cromwell Close Support tank. You ideally need the solid wheels instead of the perforated ones, but early Cromwells had the perforated wheels so it's not a massive issue for a UK-based vehicle. The 95mm gun was common to both the Centaur and Cromwell close support (CS) tanks.

Training.
New armour personnel were sent to training regiments in various parts of the UK. They were then trained to a standard level before being assigned to a mainstream armoured regiment. A regiment in a combat zone would not have any training tanks on strength but those in rear areas or based in the UK would retain a proportion of training vehicles specifically to bring their own crews up to pitch.

9th Armoured Division used Centaurs for example whilst they were based in the UK. They weren't a 'training' unit, they were a fully constituted armoured division. However, it was quite normal for crewmen to cycle through a home division (a finishing school if you will) and then be assigned overseas to one in a combat zone.

As units in the UK prepared for D-Day, their war diaries often show a steady stream of tanks being 'struck off' and sent to vehicle depots, whilst at the same time they were receiving ostensibly more of the same type of vehicle from those vehicle depots (actually old training hacks being sent away and brand new vehicles being taken on charge).

Regards,
John

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 03:30 PM UTC
Thanks so much! But one more question-the Tamiya kit features the Normandy version of the Centaur, and I note the vehicle has no machine gun or fender fronts. Was that unique to the Normandy Centaur, or were other CS tanks, either for training or fighting use, so done?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 11:46 PM UTC
Regarding the fender fronts, I guess both options are OK for a Normandy Centaur :

Here's "Hunter" (Tamiya option) in Normandy :

and here's "Seawolf" still in Normandy with them on :

Looks like these parts would be easily damaged...

H.P.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 02:38 AM UTC
The Normandy Centaurs were originally suposed to be used as gun turrets on landing craft as fire support for the beach . So they had no need of a hull machine gun , and infact had the engines removed . IIRC the Royal Marines complained to Monty that they wanted to unload and fight inland , so he ordered the tanks re-engined . The Cromwell version with the 95mm CS had the bow machine gun fitted .The Tamiya Cromwell / Centaur is a great kit , despite the engine deck hatches. I've got 5 versions built , 3 Cromwell 75mm , 1 95 mm CS , and a Centaur command tank with dummy gun and map boards on the roof .
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Normandy Centaurs were originally suposed to be used as gun turrets on landing craft as fire support for the beach . So they had no need of a hull machine gun , and infact had the engines removed . IIRC the Royal Marines complained to Monty that they wanted to unload and fight inland , so he ordered the tanks re-engined . The Cromwell version with the 95mm CS had the bow machine gun fitted .The Tamiya Cromwell / Centaur is a great kit , despite the engine deck hatches. I've got 5 versions built , 3 Cromwell 75mm , 1 95 mm CS , and a Centaur command tank with dummy gun and map boards on the roof .

Jim-- how does the numbering system on the turret work?
thanks
DJ
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks so much! But one more question-the Tamiya kit features the Normandy version of the Centaur, and I note the vehicle has no machine gun or fender fronts. Was that unique to the Normandy Centaur, or were other CS tanks, either for training or fighting use, so done?

Fenders could be detached and were often torn off in use (a lack of them provides a 'used' look to the vehicle).

The blanked off hull MG was common (but not universal) on early model Cromwells and Centaurs (pre D-Day).

The Tamiya kit has the hull MG parts included so you have the choice to build it either way (even if the instructions don't identify the parts).

Regards,
John
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

how does the numbering system on the turret work?
thanks

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/134576

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/965412286/965860092/fire+control+markings

HTH

H.P.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC

Frenchy-- you are always amazing!:-)--<
Many thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP