_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Nice Catch in Vietnam"
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hello All,

This past month I got commissioned to do a figure to be presented to an organization that sponsored some fishing trips for the Soldiers at Fort Sill's Warrior Transition Unit. Since the organization was comprised of primarily Vietnam Veterans, I was asked to make something that had to do with Vietnam and fishing. I was originally going to sculpt a figure fishing from a river bank, but due to the deadline I had to meet I had to go with a production figure so I could meet the deadline of the presentation date. Since I had recently received several figures from Bravo 6 in the mail, I found one that seemed almost perfect for what I wanted to depict. The body of the figure is from the Jerry Cans kit from Bravo 6. The Left arm is from the Dog Handler, the right arm is from the assistant gunner from the Greedy Pig kit. The head is a Hornet head. The figures are from Mantis Miniatures. The fishing pole is fashioned from styrene rod, a turn signal from a M151A1, other pieces of plastic, and brass wire. The figure was painted using acrylics from Reaper and Vallejo.

The groundwork is terra cota Miliput with various dried and paper plants. The water was achieved by painting a part of the wooden base and then applying several layers of gloss coat.

I think it turned out quite well for a quickly done project. It really helped that Bravo 6 figures are so well sculpted and posed.

In a way I kind of did not want to give the figure up because I was pleased with the outcome and thought it would be a nice display piece for some upcoming figure shows, but I guess I can always make another one.

Cheers,
James

Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi James,

hope you are fine. Very nice Vignette and great use of the Bravo-6 Figure parts and the Mantis fishes. Canīt wait to see your next work for the Vietnam campaign. The head choice is perfect for this Szene. The water and Flora Looks really great too.

Good work!!!

Greetings

Stefan
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC
I've gotta say, the figure looks even better in person. Just awesome, James!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hey James, turned out very nice and fits with the project quit well I'd say. Very good paint job, I like the red dirt on the seat of his britch's. You spend alot of tie sitting while fishing. Very good job for a good orginisation.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
Stefan, Jon, and Bob,

Thanks for the positive comments about this figure. It was a pretty fun build because it was something out of the ordinary of what I normally would have built. OK, it's somewhat out of the ordinary because it is still Vietnam subject matter which is what I normally work on, However, if I had not been commissioned for this project, I probably never would have thought of doing something like this.

I hope the folks at Operation Welcome Home enjoy the figure and have some place to display it for all of their members to see it.

Cheers,
James
walley54
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 03:44 AM UTC
James, great job, definitely unique composition.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 09:08 PM UTC

Hi James,

superb composition and painting (water effect is just great!!)! I love that uniform colour! And as stated before the dirty bottom is spot on!

He must be a real athlete though to hold that fish so far from the body!

Whoever gets this beauty is a lucky man!!!

Congratulations Sir!!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP