_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Looking for pics of a Bruce MacRae diorama fr
chazman
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 05:48 AM UTC
So, I've been looking for pictures of an old diorama from the early to mid '70's.

I believe it was featured in the long defunct Military Modeller magazine. Bruce MacRae was a regular contributor with his humorous WW2 dioramas. He did a lot of interesting work with converting those very early Tamiya figures - which were the best we had to work with back then. Remember the Matilda running down the outhouse, as the loudmouthed officer, barely escapes with his pants down?

Anyway, the diorama in question. A number of GIs have liberated a whole bunch of vino, somewhere in Italy. They are speeding down a street in a small town with their Jeep and trailer. All appear to to have sampled the wine heavily and are still drinking. In the trailer is a barrel of wine, with a GI, (barely) hanging on to it. Hanging from the muzzle of his carbine is also a liberated brazier. Must have been a great party!!! As they are speeding away, the Jeep hits a puddle at speed and splashes what looks like a newly minted 2nd Lt, with his shiney new uniform.

I've been looking for pictures of this dio for years. I've even found Bruce MacRae's website and tried contacting him about it.

If anyone has that issue of Military Modeller from the early to mid '70's, can you please post some pics of it?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Charlie
chazman
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
Oops, looks like the titles was too long. Should say: Looking for pics of a Bruce MacRae diorama from the '70's.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Bruce MacRae - The Wine Tasters - Italy 1943. Here are these from Military Modeler with the article. Sorry but the pictures were all in black & white. They would be nice if they were in color.

Hope they are of some use to you.

Randy
chazman
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
You are awesome, HARV!!! That's the one. Thanks!!
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I just wish the pictures would have been in color.

Don't hesitate to ask again if there is anything you need help with.

Randy
chazman
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I just wish the pictures would have been in color.

Don't hesitate to ask again if there is anything you need help with.

Randy

Actually, the original story had a lot of color photos. This one looks like it was reprinted in the '90's. Thanks again!
chazman
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 01:57 PM UTC
It's interesting to see one of these old dioramas from 4 decades ago. No resin, no photo-etched, no fancy Hornet heads and hands, no weathering pigments.

Just basic kits, some scratch building ability from common, household products, X-Acto blades and Squadron Green Stuff.

Oh...... that, and a great story line, stage management and diorama building skills.

Even with all of the stuff we have at our disposal today, we could all learn plenty from early pieces like this.
 _GOTOTOP