Rain streaks and panel lines on UN vehicles
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 08:19 PM UTC
Dear all,

recently, I faced quite some difficulties in painting my 1/35 Revell 5 ton truck in UN white.
Knowing by experience, UN white is semi gloss. So, after quite some trials and errors, I could realize a very good match with the help of Air Crafts colour spray, # 244.9010.1 RAL9010, semi gloss.
The UN decals will be replaced with the help of templates.
So, so far, I managed quite well, though it was, not an easy build. (Not in the last place due to the rather weak details on the Revell MAN, which required an intensive use of Eduard etch.)

Now, I need urgent advise on
1. the right way of accentuating the panel lines and
2. how to realize realistic rain streaks?

Since I want to use this truck as a load on my (Trumpeter) Franziska SLT, a European (back home) environment is the setting. Since all returning vehicles from missions are carefully cleaned before being shipped home, and even, for environmental protection reasons, are washed again in the port of arrival, these rain streaks must be done very carefully and subtile. Mig Jiménez's FAQ, pag. 88, shows the use of dry earth or sand. Not a good idea on a white truck, I guess........

So, who out there can advise, please???

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC
For the panel lines you probably should have done with black pre-shading (way too late for that now!), you could try scribing with a sharp pencil in the panel lines, but practice where it won't show too much first. For rain streaks, after sealing the surface with Future, or whatever, used diluted black oil paint with a wide brush. If it looks too dark the first time brush again with just thinner. If you don't like the results at all, you can continue brushing with thinner until all, or most, of the streaks are removed.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
Paul;
With the white UN scheme subtlety is going to be the key. In issue 17 of AFV Modeller mag, way back in the time machine, there was a faun done in white UN with lots of weathering. My suggestion is to first find this article, pm me, and attack the problem as the builder did. Barring that I would go for a grey and not black for panel lines, building up subtle layers of colour until it looks right. For the rain, I imagine that euro dust is going to look a lot like Tamiya buff. Use your earth oil colors to find the right shade of dust then add a bit off really thinned paint, like 10-20% paint to 80-90% thinner and apply to your surfaces! then with an angled brush held vertical so the thin side is up and down! drag the partly dried paint (30 to 60 sec) down, this will create the rain streaks and tide marks you want. Again, pm me for more info. Cheers.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi, Biggles2,

Hahaha, no though not black, but NATO green!
So, I might find it back.

Thanks.

Hi, Damon,

Long time, no see.

So close by, your solution. Thanks.
Yes, since the first AFV magazine I have collected them. I will have a look. Not too much trouble, since it lays on the bench for my, still under construction, FAUN SLT.
How is your Franziska doing?

Show time!

P.
 _GOTOTOP