_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Help needed with D-Day figures
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hi All,

I am planning on building a D-Day landing dio and was hoping that some of you might be able to answer some questions that I have regarding some of the figures that I have in mind. I am hoping to show US Army Rangers running ashore from their landing craft (either a LCM or LCVP), others already on the beach taking cover behind Czech Hedgehogs, and others who were not so lucky and who have been shot and lie dead or dying on the beach. I have already done quite a bit of research and have found a wide range of figures, both individual and in boxed sets, from a variety of manufacturers which will serve my purposes.

My question relates to the following figure kits (see pics below):

- Crawling to Normandy vignette (variously attributed to Legend Productions and Coree Productions)
- Rushing to Normandy (variously attributed to Legend Productions and Coree Productions)
- Omaha Beach 6 June 1944 (by Verlinden)

Crawling to Normandy

Rushing to Normandy

Omaha Beach 6 June 1944

Despite all of my searches, however, I am yet to find any OOTB photos of any of these kits prior to assembly and painting. Therefore, my question for those of you who own or are otherwise familiar with the sets is:

Are the figures molded onto the base as a single piece, or do they come separate to be glued onto the base?

I would appreciate it if any of you have any photos of any of these kits OOTB that you shared the here. Thanks in advance for your help with this. I look forward to hearing back from you.

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 08:18 PM UTC
I have some older Legend figure (some Germans reading/resting, and a wounded vignette.) sets and they are great, well cast, crisp details etc. I also have some of their head sets where half are of the same standard and the others really only fit for the bin with mould lines ruining all the facial detail. I got them from Lucky model as they were very cheap for resin figures and there was no postage charge. Hope this helps a bit.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 08:39 PM UTC
The Rangers were brought ashore in British landing craft and they were manned by British crews...I don't know if anyone makes that type of landing craft... Good luck with you dio...

Eick
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Rangers were brought ashore in British landing craft and they were manned by British crews...I don't know if anyone makes that type of landing craft... Good luck with you dio...

Eick

Fonderie Miniatures do the Landing Craft Assault (LCA) used by the Rangers. Needs a bit of work though.

I have been badgering Italeri for a new kit - the FM one is a bit of a dog to build.

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 01:22 AM UTC
You would have to seriously modify the second group of guys from Legend(I think) as they are wearing paratrooper uniforms.
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 06:24 AM UTC
Revell have re-released their ancient UDT craft which is the same craft as pictured above. Needs a bit of work and replacement of weapons, but is otherwise usable. If you don't mind plastic figs, MB makes two sets of D-Day US troops, and Dragon made a set of Rangers (but not quite so good).
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Jason Theres a company called Mk35 editions their a french company they do four rangers 2nd battalion on D day their resin and very well done one dead b.a.r. man,2 running one holding his helmet on and one carring a bangalor torpedo and all have full equipment well worth a look.you can find them on Fields of glory web site.oh they are all seperate figures they dont come as a set uk price is £7.99 thats cheap for resin Hope this helps.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
MK35 website

H.P.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC
[quote]Revell have re-released their ancient UDT craft which is the same craft as pictured above. Needs a bit of work and replacement of weapons, but is otherwise usable. If you don't mind plastic figs, MB makes two sets of D-Day US troops, and Dragon made a set of Rangers (but not quite so good). [/quote

Hi Biggles 2,

The Revelle UDT Boat can be converted into the LCP R (Landing Craft Ramped) it is not the LCA - two different boats.

This is the UDT Boat as a RN LCP R

as a USN LCP R - armoured up for D Day

The Rangers used the LCA as originally shown - different beast

Al
rossgary
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Jason,
Coming in to this thread a bit late but, you might want to check out this thread http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=89114
There's some good stuff in there.
All the best,
Gary
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hi fellas,

Thanks for all of your responses so far.

Thanks for all of the tips on the landing craft, although to be honest, I am still very far from that stage. I have ordered the 2 Masterbox sets and the older Tamiya set. I am still looking at sets / individual figures depicting casualties, hence my reason for this thread.

PAUL - Can you tell me a little more about the Legend vignettes that you have experience with: were the figures molded to the base, or did they come separately to be glued on?

JERRY - You are right: the 2 running figures are wearing para uniforms. I realised that after I had posted the pics.

JOHN - Thanks for the tip on the MK35 figures. I don't think that I had seen them before. I particularly like the BAR gunner casualty.

GARY - Thank you for the link. You are right, there is a lot of great info in there. And a shout out to David (the author of that thread), if you happen to be a member here: that is some great work, dude! You have inspired me try try out your technique.

Can anyone else help with out with info regarding the Legend/Coree Productions vignettes (particularly the 'Crawling to Normandy' vignette)? Are the figures molded onto the base, or are they separate?

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi - the figures were separate from the base. I think they are really well designed and made figures. Another point to mention is they are much smaller than any Verlinden offering, I don't think they are compatible.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC
Nemrod makes some D-Day figs, such as this one:
http://www.redlancers.com/pictures/N35039-rl01.jpg
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the additional info fellas. However, in the interim, BNA Model World here in Oz has replied to my question and has even posted some pics on their website of the kit contents, confirming that the figures are indeed separate from the base (See link HERE). Thanks for your help guys.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC
i w as just on amazon . Verlinden has some nice ones and so does master box . masterbox has one with a buddy pulling a wounded buddy to safety
 _GOTOTOP