_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to make tamiya lacquer NATO green duller?
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 10:28 AM UTC
While building a tamiya leopard 2a6 kit, I sprayed parts of the kit several times with tamiya NATO green spray can paint. This resulted in the paint losing its normal perfectly flat finish, and gave it a slightly reflective gloss. I tried to dull it with tamiya spray dull load, but it had little effect.

Is there a good way to dull down the a flat paint that has acquired a sheen due to too many coats?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 10:40 AM UTC
FWIW: I use Testors Dull Coat thinned about 50:50 with ordinary hardware store lacquer thinner. Usually requires a couple of coats because it's so thin, but it dries fast, so by the time you work your way around from the second side, the first is usually dry enough for the next coat.
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 05:09 PM UTC
Can tester lacquer dull coat work with tamiya lacquer?

Does any one have experience with tamiya's aquilic NATO green? It is really dull is sprayed on?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 03:13 AM UTC
I've never used Tamiya's NATO green, but all of their XF-series colors that I have used have dried flat.

In regards to the compatibility of Testors Dull Coat lacquer over Tamiya, I do it all the time with no adverse effects. In fact, I've sprayed Testors Dull Coat over just about every kind of paint you can name (oils, enamels, lacquers and acrylics - all dry, of course) with no problems of compatibility.

There are many acrylic based matt / flat clears that you can use too, but I don't have any first-hand experience with them. I've been using Testors Dull Coat since the early 70's and have had no reason to switch.

One of my AMPS club mates, Dave Varetonni (Armorama call sign "dvaretonni") uses Winsor & Newton's Artisan "Water Mixable Oil Matt Varnish" with is a water-based acrylic that he sprays straight from his airbrush.

Here's a link to one of our newsletters that contains a review of this product:

AMPS "Wildcat" Newsletter: V3-N3

HTH
 _GOTOTOP