_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Best T-80 - T-90
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 02:07 PM UTC
What would be the best T80/T90 kit to purchase? I have not built a Soviet tank and would like to give one a shot.

Happy Modeling

Mike
leonhzy
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 02:37 PM UTC
T-90 go for MENG, also trumpeter with other versions.
T-80 go for xact, but trumpeter will release their T-80 in the future, just wait for few months it will be there.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
Trump has just reported their T-80B with ERA will be out in December. Without knowing anything about the kit I'd venture to say it's a better T-80 than the X-Act kit which has some significant issues(but on the other hand it is still a very good first try for a new company).
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hi Mike;
As of rite now, Trumpeter seems too have the Winning Hand. altho Meng and Xact are still in the Game. They will all have there Issues that for one reason or another someone will say that its not correct. There will never be a 100% accurate perfect kit. Now for me myself I like the Meng T-90 as it even gives you a Engine.

CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike;
As of rite now, Trumpeter seems too have the Winning Hand. altho Meng and Xact are still in the Game. They will all have there Issues that for one reason or another someone will say that its not correct. There will never be a 100% accurate perfect kit. Now for me myself I like the Meng T-90 as it even gives you a Engine.

CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK; MIKE.

I'm with Mike here...
I became a big -and I mean big- fan of Trumpeter on the last years, mainly because their high pace releasing amazing subjects, but also because of their improving quality
That said, I built their T-90 with cast turret and I'm currently building the very-alike T-72B and must say that even being very nice kits, Meng's T-90A seems better in detailing, accuracy, and even buildability. The fact that the kit comes with a nice detailed engine is also a plus, and the tracks are fantastic.
I cannot tell about Trumpeter´s T-90A, but I guess it would be very similar to the previous T-90/T-72B kits -quite good and enjoyable, but a step below Meng's kit-.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
T-90A go for Meng without a doubt

T-90 cast turret? Only Trumpeter has it, seems decent.

T-80B&T-80BV will be come at this X-mas which I'm pretty sure (at least I've been told so in their facebook page and other forum)

Meng seems doing things random, their T-90A is stunning but I don't think they gona exploit the T-90 chassis like the trumpy do.

good luck!
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 07:47 PM UTC
Zvezdas is good, but Mengs T-90 is easier to build.
BlancoDiablo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 03:12 PM UTC
I'm on the painting phase of my Zvezda T-90 and HOLY CRAP there is a ridiculous amount of detail in this kit. Everything went together rather easily, but it was very time-consuming. That said, I really love the kit and can't wait to get it all done. Trying to take my time on the painting and do it right so that I can do the kit justice.
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 05:08 PM UTC
T-90? Of course no doubt Trumpeter T-90...T-72 also. T-80 aslo.All you need is to find a good hobby shop with logical price... pics for you.. the little bolts are boring but worth the effort and easy to glue. Good luck!

Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 05:54 PM UTC
Alex for the T-72 and probably the upcoming T-80's as well, yes Trumpeter. But why the Trumpy T-90 over Meng's? Or do you just mean the cast turrent T-90?
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 08:14 PM UTC
The quality of the plastic I mean..for the Meng T-90a. and some of my friend even said you will not get the jamming system done without damage it....the worst thing is the suspension..well..the point we spoke highly of..but only the past....the quality of the plastic make the suspension will easily get damaged and will no longer move back where it should be. anyway...for the scale model I don't think it is wise to make the movable parts if the quality of the plastic is not good. last tip: gur khan? no...not that expert...just a expo combinator for the Uralvagonzavod....
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 09:59 PM UTC
The plastic quality of Meng's T-90 is bad indeed. Too soft for that detailed kit.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 01:35 AM UTC
@ Alex and ejasonk, must of missed that tidbit in all the reviews I read for the Meng, might be interesting to get a Trumpy T-90 to build next to my Meng see how they directly compare.

Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
Strange, I read somewhere that the Meng Plastic is too HARD not soft. I guess we need to hear from those who have actually built it.

Mike, I have both the the Zvezda and the Meng. The Zvezda will be used to build my Miniarm Rogatka conversion, and the Meng, being superior in dimensions etc., will be my next T-90A (I did the Tamiya/Miniarm conversion back in 2008).

As far as the T-80, you'll find an excellent representative in the Xactscale T-80U. I am finishing the paint on it today, and will begin weathering etc tomorrow. I wish I had aftermarket tracks for it, but it will be an impressive OOB build.

Trumpy's T-80B & BV look very nice. I have their T-72B as well which looks great, but I would like to hear from some of the Russian modelers (they are ruthless in their critique of kits of their armor) on how accurate they are.

Overall, with the exception of the drivers hatch, and some minute detail, the Meng kit is the winner over Zvezda ....not sure about Trumpy though.

Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the info.

Mike
Removed by original poster on 01/01/14 - 09:42:13 (GMT).
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The quality of the plastic I mean..for the Meng T-90a. and some of my friend even said you will not get the jamming system done without damage it....the worst thing is the suspension..well..the point we spoke highly of..but only the past....the quality of the plastic make the suspension will easily get damaged and will no longer move back where it should be. anyway...for the scale model I don't think it is wise to make the movable parts if the quality of the plastic is not good. last tip: gur khan? no...not that expert...just a expo combinator for the Uralvagonzavod....

That is all that bad there meng - soft plastic? You yourself are not funny? Trump - not a bad set, but it should definitely buy trucks, those in the box - in the trash ..
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:01 AM UTC
Gennadiy, I can barely understand what you tried to point out in your comment
I know that english not being our natural language make things a bit hard, but can you elaborate your point of view?
I have both Meng's and Trumpeter's T-90 kits, and have to say that Meng´s details look far better -mainly around the IR jammers- but the plastic is awful to work with, and definetely "weak".
On the other hand Trumpeter's lacks some detail quality here and there, but builds in a great representation of the tank, and their plastic is far more "user-friendly".
Just my own and subjective opinion, without judging accuracy, where Meng's seems a bit better too.
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:29 PM UTC
My hats off to anyone that builds one of those 1300+ part T-90s. They're the modeling equivelent to "War and Peace".
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My hats off to anyone that builds one of those 1300+ part T-90s. They're the modeling equivelent to "War and Peace".

LOL...nah, not quite THAT bad. Most of the parts go into the tracks anyhow, so don't get to upset.

As for tracks, I will say this to make sure it is CLEAR:

Xact Scale T-80U tracks: probably need to be replaced. Not terrible, but not awesome

Trumpeter T-80B: Solid tracks, but not the best.

Trumpeter T-80 Series tracks (sold seperate): Best tracks out there. ACCURATE. Fiddly and something of a pain. I will be doing a review on them soon.

T-90. Trumpeter and MENG tracks in box are decent but not the best. After market better. (I cannot comment on specific T-90 aftermarket tracks).

I hope that helps some.
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gennadiy, I can barely understand what you tried to point out in your comment
I know that english not being our natural language make things a bit hard, but can you elaborate your point of view?

I apologize for my English. It's bad
About soft plastic - try assemble Takom Object 279. It - SOFT plastic Meng has normal plastic.
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:24 PM UTC
Meng's plastic is definitely too soft on their t-90. Nice details, but hard to build and cut the parts. But this depends on the modeller. I go crazy if one line is not straight enough on my model, even if it's not visible. Others can live with loss of contures, but great details

In todays modelling standards i think dragon,tamiya and trumpeter are the companies with normal quality of plastic
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
I'm not exactly getting the comments about the soft plastic on the Meng kit...and how its hard to cut?! If anything if its softer, it should be easier to cut and clean up. If you're tearing parts off, you need a new blade or sprue cutters because they are dull.

I've built the T-72B from Trumpeter and the plastic isn't "hard" like Tamiya plastic, but nothing horrible.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:02 PM UTC
"soft" plastic has more polyvinyl in it, think Dragons DS plastic, and while it holds small detail very nicely, and crisply, like model wheels made of "rubber" (vinyl), it can be a bear to deal with...
 _GOTOTOP