Hosted by Darren Baker
question on balsa wood measurements
LancashireFusilier
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 11:23 PM UTC
does anyone know what the measurements are for floor boards and floor joists in 1/35...am building a ruined building out of foamboard....i have used balsa before but with moving house have misplaced the model so need to confirm measurements...the other model was miniart factory corner which i built a floor for and had good success with....please reply i am grateful for any help....1 day i am hoping to get some photos up
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 12:27 AM UTC
pics would be nice... indeed

In our house (build in the 20ties) the floorboards are around 2cm, wich gives about 0,5mm in 1:35....
So the thinnest balsa you can get (which is 1mm, I guess) will do the job.

Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 02:01 AM UTC
If you want to have even thinner balsa, you can try to flatten it with a rolling pin. Did so for some 1:72 projects, and the result was almost paper thin (perfectly in scale) balsa , that you can easily cut with scissors to the exact dimensions and forms you need. The thickness of course depends on how much pressure you apply...
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 02:28 AM UTC
That should work, but just because itīs at exact scale it dosnīt have to look realistic... Iīve done a floor with 1mm balsa and it was almost a bit too thin... so I guess you have to do some tests first....
 _GOTOTOP