_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV lub Centurion
Drichc
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC
This is a build with a family connection and will be a slow build (aren't they all) as I will need to learn new techniques as I go, and those will be practiced on various other mules.

Once finished the small diorama I'm planning will depict a Centurion of the 17/21st Lancers returning from exercise "Golden Fleece", Kam Tin province Hong Kong, 30/11/60. The family connection is the commander, my late uncle (the one with a missing head in the top shot).

After perusing an AFV Club kit at Dannyd's, then posting for info on here I was reasonably certain I was looking at a Mk5.

So Telford arrives and I duly pick up a Bulldozer Centurion kit from Vince at Modelsforsale for a 'REALLY' good price. This is good as it comes with the 20pdr type A barrel , so saves me another £7. I picked up a nice new reference book at Telford too, which covers Mk's1-6. Dan gives me a set of AFVC indy links, and I source an Eduard etch set plus the AFVC vinyl mantlet cover.

Ready to roll, er.......NO!

More research and an obscure link to an Australian site throws a spanner in the works. I knew that the tank I was looking at was slightly strange, but it wasn't until I found this site I knew what it was. The turret has no hatch for removal of the 17pdr originally fitted, so a late 3 then?

I should probably mention at this point that the only difference 'officially' between a 3 and a 5 is the co-axial gun (besa 7.92mm (3), .30cal (5)).

The aussie site than points out that a whole batch of 3's had a transitionary turret, which was without the hatch, but still had armour that was flush with the roof plate, combined bomb thrower and loaders periscope, and the original loaders hatch orientation . This means that the turret supplied by AFVC is not appropriate and will need some fairly serious surgery.

I'll let the following pics show what has had to be done.

Turret as supplied, and entirely correct for a 'mid 3' or 5.

But no good for me, so out with the beer and etch saws.

And back in orientated for an early turret. The turret ventilator is not glued on and needs an enormous shrinkage dip filling!

The next problem is that the top plate sits proud of the turret top, whereas the early ones had armour that came up flush with a drain channel around the edge.

So!!!! Build up with plasticard and lots of filling and filing.

Loaders periscope removed, hatch gaps filled, and new armour blended in.

Surface texture re-applied using Mr Surfacer 500, then cut back.

And this is where it stands now with new weather guards applied, and the rough location marked as to where the periscope and bomb thrower will go. Yes, the two discontinuities at the rear of the rain channel are meant to be there, I haven't bodged it YET!

Had a play with the AFVC indy links, and to be honest I'm not overly impressed and I'm pretty sure some Friul tracks will be winging their way to me soon.

The only other major mod is the wheels. I don't like the way AFVC have done them, so I'm going to cast my own in the near future.

Wish me luck, I have a feeling this build is going to need it.

Rich
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 02:01 AM UTC
DOH!

Any chance a mod could edit the title to read AFV Club.

Cheers
Rich
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 02:06 AM UTC
Looking good! Ah, if I had a quarter for every time I performed that hatch surgery, but in the opposite direction... Well, I might be able to buy a cup of coffee.
For anyone else attempting this - Legend's Shot Kal Gimel (LF1231) has that top turret piece. You can use the rest of the conversion and the original turret top and still be fine.

Can't wait to see more - it's always good to follow centurion builds.

Quoted Text

I should probably mention at this point that the only difference 'officially' between a 3 and a 5 is the co-axial gun (besa 7.92mm (3), .30cal (5)).

And an extra return roller.
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 02:12 AM UTC
Thanks Robert.

Thankfully mine will have side skirts, and I've seen a few arguments break out over that .

I hadn't seen the Legend conversion, but Lionmarc do one that could be used by filling the rear hatch. I suppose I just wanted to take the challenge on myself. Probably makes me slightly insane.

Rich
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 03:15 AM UTC
Nice work Richard, look forward to seeing it done.

Never knew there were that many diffs in Cents.

Picked up AFV Club's Centurion Mk.5 with Dozer #35106, toying with the idea of a 165MM AVRE, and/or a MK41.

I looked at the wheels/tyres errr issue, where the tyre part has the rim of the wheel, looks like I can live with,
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi Rich,

Making good progress with the turret fella, all looks rather great. After seeing the turret looking this good I'm waiting to see the rest of the build now.

Regards

Dan
stef29
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Really nice scratch work!
Drichc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi John. Ironically the Centurion I'm doing is listed as an AVRE 165 when I searched for it, so was obviously converted in her later life.

Don't hold your breath Dan, you know how I get easily distracted

Cheers Bill.

Rich
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2013 - 05:06 AM UTC
Richard,
Nice work woith the hatch and removing the periscope. I do like the additional work with the strip, sheet and putty. Like Rob, I am also always on the lookout for a Centurion build and this one looks to be a good one to follow.

John
 _GOTOTOP