Factory yard... a base for the Neubaufahrzeug
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hey Mates,
Somehow I ended up with Trupeters Neubaufahrzeug in my Mailbox, mainly cause I got if for cheap and there were some extra goodies in...
A few days later a friend of mine asked to do a little groupbuild, so I was in...
Due a series of misshaps (a loud party above our flat til late (...better early ) and some cancellation) I was able to finish main construction within one and a half days. Quite bad cause the other mates hadnīt even started yet...

So I had to do a small base or even a little diorama, to not leave them behind.
Iīve got the Reinmetall version (No. 1 of the 5 ever build) which was made of mild steel and was the only one wich never saw combat. So far a quite unique vehicle, as it was a multi turret design and had the spocket weel in the rear... a feature which was never seen again on German WWII tank.

As this vehicle must have stayed somewehere til it got scrapped, it had to stay somewhere, so I decided to show it "lonely and forgotten" in a factory yard somewhere in the early 1940ties...

Everyone aslep now? Great

I thought a bit about the setting and made some drafts:

the base:

and the main wall:

next update in a few minutes...
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC
Concerning the next steps I have to thank Robert Blokker ("FAUST") for his great postcard callenge, where I snitched this trick from... (I guess it was even he who did it...)
But some pictures first:

Iīve used quite thinn cork and cut out my bricks. After that I started gluing them on my draft from above... a pretty easy system ... but it takes some time to get something of this size done...

Cheers, gonna glue soem bricks now
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 12:30 AM UTC
Still nobody interrested?...
1/3 is now done...

Iīve planed to do a little interior, too. But while I thought about the windows, I came across the "lights out order"

Does anybody know how they closed up those big windows? Or didnīt they work at night?

Would be cool if anyone is willing to share his knowledge... otherwise I have to do it, as I would have done it...
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC
Looking good Fabian. I think they painted the windows black
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
Ola Fabian...

That looks perfect so far. Already tired of glueing cork bricks? And yes it was my building that I did the cork trick on for the postcard challenge. which I in my turn have snatched from Blockhaus (Carlos Elias Llop) who is kinda the King of Cork. It should be a nice backdrop for your Neubaufahrzeug. Looking forward how you are going to weather the vehicle.
As for the window in my factory... I am painting the inside black but I will have a little optic trick to give the impression that you are looking into a huge assembly plant. By cutting out windows in perspective in the back plate.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Gruess Fabian,
I would think that they worked around the clock. Bill is probably right, they painted the windows black. I would make window shutters. That way you could have a "little something" behind the windows on the factory floor. Also, You could paint the shutters a different color adding an extra bit of color variation to your diorama.
You are off to a good start. What ever you do will look great. Thank you for sharing with us and keep us posted with your progress.

Tom
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 09:26 AM UTC
Looking good!
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thanks for imput and feedback gentlemen, now...
...I see a clear window and I want to paint it black

I already planed to do some kind of static (upper part) and moveable (lower part) shutters... so all your ideas fit in perfectly...

And yes, I got a bit tired of glueing bricks
thatīs why I put some paint on and the window in...

The yellow stuff is the mesh used for the windows (before I cut every second line out...) It was used in the fassade of the neighbours building, I havenīt found an english expression for it, here itīs called "Putzgewebe" (grout webbing), a kind building worker "forgot" it right in front of my bench window... so it was just a grab away

Pic are awful... but youīll get some better shot once itīs finished....
 _GOTOTOP