_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Windex safe for AB?
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 01:50 PM UTC
I spray only Tamiya acrylics and Future. Windex cleans them in no time.

However, I do know that ammonia in Windex can damage chrome and brass in an airbrush. I haven't airbrushed for a long time, so my ABs haven't been exposed to Windex for a long time.

Can anyone who has been cleaning his AB with Windex for a long time comment on the issue?

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 02:14 PM UTC
howdy..

I've been using windex to clean mine for quite a while, and after the windex I spary some water through to make sure no ammonia is left in the brush.. Never had a problem..

here is an interesting article on the subject at the following link.. with a posted e-mail from the President and CEO of Badger giving his views on the subject.

Windex/Ammonia Bad for Airbrushes?

Delbert
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 05:49 PM UTC
I clean my ab with glass cleaner, ipa and lacquer thinner. I prefer the glass cleaner, because it works well and is extremely cheap.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I clean my ab with glass cleaner, ipa and lacquer thinner. I prefer the glass cleaner, because it works well and is extremely cheap.

Matt you mean you clean your airbrush with beer (IPA) ?
https://www.google.de/search?q=ipa+beer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jUWnUt3AJoOJtQbSs4GwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=642

I prefer to drink it, dude you must try it some time

ChrisK: I have also used a window cleaner and had no problems, but I do also spray water through afterwards.

Paul
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC
no problems,just run some water to clean it out completely
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt you mean you clean your airbrush with beer (IPA) ?
https://www.google.de/search?q=ipa+beer&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jUWnUt3AJoOJtQbSs4GwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=642

I prefer to drink it, dude you must try it some time

ChrisK: I have also used a window cleaner and had no problems, but I do also spray water through afterwards.

Paul

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC
Well, I'm not a huge fan of India Pale Ale, but I suspect it's a LOT better than IsoPropyl Alcohol
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I'm not a huge fan of India Pale Ale, but I suspect it's a LOT better than IsoPropyl Alcohol

The mint flavor is especially good.
riham11
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 04:34 PM UTC
A lot of people expect to get an airbrush and get instant magical results. It's really not simple at all.
Airbrushes overall are delicate instruments which require a lot of practice to master, and a good bit of experimenting along the way. I only use Testors enamels with mineral spirits thinners, so I'm no help on acrylics at all..but the only time I get the issues you describe is with paint too thick and air pressure too low.
Even with practice and perfect set ups, you STILL will need a scrap card to "clear" the brush and adjust your settings while painting. An airbrush is not a push button device, turn key and drive, no no. It involves skill and a bit of talent and a lot of flexibility and willingness to try anything..adapt and overcome. It takes time and sorry, some used up materials to learn.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC
Ultrasonic cleaner and lacquer thinner. I disassemble it, let it soak in the uc, then clean with a soft rag and cotton swabs. For stubborn build up, in the tip, ream it with a toothpick. Keeps my brush operating like new. I do notice some lifting of the nickle, over a long time. However, I can't complain other than that.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. You can drink India pale ale , not recommended to drink isopropyl alcohol. Now the 200 proof alcohol that's drinkable also , just not in mass quantity or you will definitely talk to God .
 _GOTOTOP