the color of rubble?
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:37 AM UTC
hi every1

ive started painting my 2nd diorama (pics in my gallery) which includes a ruined building destroyed by a blast. Now i know that there would only be some fire, and i will account for the scorching/charring etc, but i cant seem to settle on the brick colour - it seems either too dark, too brown or too pinkish. the house is based in germany near the end of the war if its any help?! so could anybody please, well, help? :-)

answers on a postcard
cheers alpha

zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 07:09 PM UTC
ola alpha.
maybe this doesnt help
but when I see pictures of walls with bricks and knocked down walls and just ruble most of the bricks have a diffrent shade of "red" some red other pinkish. and all coated with a heavy layer of dust.so I think yr kinda on target thinking some are to dark others too brown and others to pink.

hoop this was of any help
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 210 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 09:17 PM UTC
hi

if i was you, check out doc dio's site !! especially the articles about making a dio.

have fun

ps

i think the link is www.docdios.com (i'm not sure)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
The base color of rubble is going to be the color of the material - bricks = various reds, plaster = grays, mortar = gray/taup
On top of that you are going to have various shades of gray and black from dust and fire and grime. I would recommend lots of pastels

Go to google and do an image search for "rubble" and you get this
http://images.google.com/images?q=rubble&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Gives a good idea of color variations and piling reference.
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
hey everyone

thanks for the help - learning from whats been said ive decided on mixing up aobut 3/4/5 different reds, browns etc and will just randomise the colouring till im happy with it. The plastering ill do a grey come beige, and the rest will be black, grey, white to account for burning etc. thanks scott for the google tip - i checked your link and found it a great help!
dmd thanks for the link tried it, couldnt get it to work but ill try again and see if i can sort it.
Ill be sure to post some progress pics as i go!

cheers

alpha
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
Ola Alpha

What I usually do when I need to paint rubble is this:
I first spray the rubble with diluted white glue 50/50 mixture. Then sprinkle a fine grain sand on top of that. While the glue is still wet I also put in loose bricks. Then when everything is cured I paint the rubble in Kahki. Let that cure. Then do a heavy drybrush with humbrols "brick-red" (I don`t know the exact number of that) then I do a drybrush with a darker tone of Brick red. there is more brown in that one. Then I do a light drybrush with Khaki on the bricks. And I do a black drybrush here and there.
This is the resut in my Dio DISTRACTION

alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
hey robert

thanx for the advice - great diorama!. Ive done all the rubble, sand, grit, bricks & broken wood. I basecoated black ( u can see in my gallery) and will, along with yours and everyones advice, probably start with a brown or a dark red, and randomize from there. I may use a little matt black spray to accentuate the burntout effect here and there too.

cheers alpha
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
Alpha - I looked at your pictures and its coming along really well. One thing I saw that I would do is to take just a bit of the dirt and grime in the 'gutter' at the streets edge and extend it over the edge of the sidewalk. I know you're looking for a 'cleaned up' look so I'm not saying a lot. Just a bit to 'randomize' the clean up a bit, I know when I sweep my driveway (or Pickleman sweeps it) stuff is always left behind.
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC
hey slodder

cheers for the tip - already done. ive added some dirt etc to each side of the gutter and begun painting the rubble, which is coming along really well. ill be sure to update my gallery as soon as i can to show current progress and as always, thankyou for the advice and encouragement!

alpha :-)-><
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
hey every 1

ive updated my gallery - the building is now near complete, as is the painting. Just a few more minor details to add (furniture & such) and thats the diorama base finished.
checkout the pics and gimme your views!

thanx alpha
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 10:15 AM UTC
I like seeing the progression of this dio..looks like lots of detail in the
building and rubble but having a hard time distinguishing some of it.
Any chance of adding a bit more light when you photo? Keep up the
great work!!!
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
thanks kancali

ill try to get some better pics posted asap - i dont think my light was angled very well in those. theres plenty to look at in the house, which is now all but completed, i added the posters and a small wooden crucifix, and im going to scatch build some furniture remains too. also in there will be a scratchbuilt broom and long handled shovel. Once all thats done, all there is to do is finish up the feldkuche and figures, and build & paint the flakpanzer wirbelwind thats sitting outside on the road! (not much then...)

will keep posting so watch this space!

cheers alpha
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
I know you've already worked out a color for your bricks this time, but I find Floquil's Freight Car Brown to be a perfect color for bricks. Just thought you might like to try it some time.

Patrick
alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
thanks plmp ill remember that one - ive certainly learnt a few things while painting those bricks! ive added more pics to my gallery, tried to get some better lighting in there too, the base itself is nigh complete, and im now working to get the figures and vehicles done.

take a look and let me know what u all think!

cheers for now,

alpha
 _GOTOTOP