_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"First" 1/4-ton Jeep build
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
I had recently received this kit after about a week of waiting for delivery. About 5 days ago I opened the box up and then, later, started to work it a bit.

Now, 4 days after painting, I have the chassis assembled, with the exception of the wheels, and have started on the body.

I'm wondering how the weathering is and what I should do/add to it to make it better. Unfortunately I have no pigments, pastels, powders, etc to choose from. Just enamel and acrylic paints and brushes.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 11:40 AM UTC
Here's the body and wheels...:

Anything to help the wheels out?

And the .30 cal mg:

Any tips and/or suggestions?
Removed by original poster on 12/15/13 - 00:29:33 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/15/13 - 05:08:18 (GMT).
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 04:59 AM UTC
Michael
Good start on it. I just started working on one at the beginning of this month. Sifting through my spares and waiting to see what after market stuff I get for Christmas.
Got some resin stuff,P E sets and a couple resin tops on my list.
I'll keep an eye on your build and post some pics of mine later.
Dave M
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 07:06 AM UTC
Nice. I'd like to see some of those too. I was, again (lol), sifting through pictures on the web of the MB looking specifically at the wheels to see if I got them "right" in some respects. From what I found I got the dirt somewhat right.

I'd like to get a set of figures including a driver and gunner... and eventually (emphasis on eventually) use it to make a dio of the jeep and a german panzerfaust team. But all in good time.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 11:30 AM UTC
A cold day here in Wis good day to be on the computer.
Here's a couple pics of my W I P. Doing T latch's and P E on the blackout light. Progress is a little slow like I said in first post waiting to see what I get from Santa.
The other pic's show some of my other builds the M P jeep is 1/24 Hasegawa the others are 1/35 Tamiya
 photo 100_0765_zps39ed29f7.jpg photo 100_0766_zpsae06579f.jpg photo 100_0767_zps43cc588a.jpg photo jeepmodel022_zpsec40ab40.jpg[URL=http:
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:40 AM UTC
Ok. A long off update. I've done a bit more painting and I think it's pretty good. Warning: Pic heavy!

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 07:45 AM UTC
Uh... Does anyone have any suggestions or comments at all? I know I'm not the most prolific or best builder or painter here but I think some comments or suggestions would be nice.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC
This IS NOT a critizism just intended as an informative comment.

All wartime jeep engines were factory painted battleship gray. (About the shade of most manufacture's home circuit breaker boxes.)

Best Regards
Mike
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:26 AM UTC
I use a Model Masters paint color called "Gun Metal" for my weapons. It is very thin and says for airbrushing only but I brush it onto small items like 30 cals.

I also use the gun metal for my tire color, It is far more realistic than using either flat black or rubber colors and it gives the tires a slight silver/gray sheen like a tire that has spent time out in the sun. (I have received compliments and questions from competition judges on how I achieved my tire color.)

Be sure to give the tires and guns a uniform dark base coat of some kind before using the gun metal. If you get a contrasty, uneven paint sploch on the tire it will show through the thin gun metal paint. I usually just spray the tires with flat OD to cover the wheel rims AND give the tires a basecoat and when dry, go back and paint the tires with the gun metal.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:08 PM UTC
Since there are two Michael here screen names will be used.
Mikey Bugs95 you have a good start on the painting. Not sure if you have an airbrush. But after you get all your decals on and before you put the windshield glass in a light dusting of OD to help tone down the white and a light dusting of a very light tan to simulate dust helps to blend every thing together.
165thspc has some good pointers for your next build, about the engine color. From the factory Ford engines were painted gray and Willys engine were olive drab in the field when engines were rebuilt be they Ford or Willys they all got a coat of OD.
I was cleaning out photo bucket and deleted the pics from my first post so if you didn't get to see them here are a couple.
 _GOTOTOP