_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Questions re: Sherman II (M4A1) Oct. '42
DBManley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hello Sherman aficionados,
I need help with my Dragon Models October 1942 El Alamein Sherman II (M4A1) 1/35 model build. My plan is to build this tank of "B" squadron 3rd Royal Tank Regiment. My questions:
(1) Was the demarcation between the camo colours hard (brush painted) or soft (sprayed)?
(2) Which type of the two grouser bin / gas tank vent covers on the upper hull at the back of the tank should I use? The choices are rounded or squared off covers.
(3) The engine deck has depressions at the far corners next to the engine access door corners. Dragon have parts to fill these if the modeler wishes to. Which, if any, should I use?
(4) Were three perpendicular straps across the back of the box attached to the rear of the turret usually used?
(5) should I add the lifting loops on the suspension bogies? And If so should they face up or down?
(6) Any other suggestions and points to make the model better would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking a look at this and for any help you can offer.
Best,
Dave
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi David ...
1) Hard edge
2)I'd say the squared ones
3)Looks like these early ones don't have the depressions
4)Never really ever seen anything strapped there but I don't know for sure...
5) I think they all had them at one point for the trip overseas but not many pictures with them still in place once they got into action.. They do look good..

6) Have fun with your Sherman .. Great desert camos are fun to do ..
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC
Not too sure about those depressions ...It might be more of a factory thing.. can't be sure if all these earlies had them or not..

Rick
 _GOTOTOP