_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Anyone owns Badger SOTAR AB?
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC
I just received a SOTAR AB and wonder if something's wrong with the trigger mechanism.

With my Iwata ABs, when I let go of the trigger after pulling it back, it snaps back to its original position.

In contrast, with the SOTAR, when I let go of the trigger after pulling it back, it SLOWLY returns to its original position.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
Howdy Chrisk-K

I just got one of these myself off of Amazon, couldn't pass up the $60 price tag.

Have not used it yet so its still brand new. Pulled it out of the box and checked the trigger action,

The action is smooth as can be and when I let it go it goes right in.. same as my other badgers, and my Neo Iwata (only Iwata I have)..

The only things I can think off that might be a problem is some kind of obstruction or material catching on the needle as it goes in. Or possibly something wrong with the trigger tension spring part 20-117 on the diagram.

If you can't get it to work right, and can't return it or get a replacement, you can send it back to badger and they will repair it.. they have a great service dept.

Info on badgers website for their warrenty and service

Delbert
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 10:49 AM UTC
It sounds like the airbrush, especially the needle needs oiling as the rimngs may have dried up. Make sure you use oil designed for an airbrush.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 11:24 AM UTC
I applied Iwata lube and tightened the trigger tension adjustment. The problem persists! Without the needle in place, the trigger, after being pulled, snaps back as expected. So something causes unnecessary friction in the needle path.

I couldn't pass it up for $60 at Amazon. Disappointing!
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 11:36 AM UTC

I see two options you have.

1st contact amazon and send it back for a refund or get a replacement if possible..

I got mine from amazon myself and it has no problems.. I just test sprayed it with some thinner to get an idea of the spray.. i'm going to be using it to spay some earth effects on a M-10.

The other option is to send it to badger for repair or replacement as their warrenty covers defects. Of course if there is a bad part they might charge for the part..

Delbert

The disappointing thing is that you got a bum one... I've never found any Badger to be a disappointment.. but I may be biased as I have 7 of them now..

spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 12:11 PM UTC
Its the newness of the brush, i had a 200 sent of for replacement teflon washer(after 12 years use)it came back with a needle that wouldnt move! the fact yours is stiff is good just
remove needle and add airbrush lube and run the needle in and out few times,just keep using the brush and it will free up. Its annoying but it shows you have a good washer.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
Your Sotar should not need any lube at all, ever. If you take a moment to read the paperwork that comes with it, many of these features are explained. If you have not ye loosened the nut on the back of the needle (the part with the graduations on it), loosen it until the trigger comes all the way back in its housing. Next step, if you have not done this is to move the needle forward to its proper setting, i.e. the forward most position (i was wondering where the needle tip was yesterday when I figured this out). this should help the action and the feel. Post what you try and what the results are. Hope it work smashingly soon. Cheers.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 01:29 PM UTC
Damon,

I did what you suggested. I actually dissembled the AB one more time, cleaned every part and assembled it. Still, it feels like something is grabbing the needle. Weird.

Time to send it back to Amazon
 _GOTOTOP