_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
clear coat is dark
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 02:52 PM UTC
So i just finished painting my walker bulldog in tamiya olive drab, but once I hit it with my clear coat, it darkened it up alot, alomost to the point of it being black, i was using krylon satin finish as my clearcoat/varnish, but im wanting to get something that works better, I dont want a gloss and I would prefer something out of a aerosol can, I know that clear coats pretty much always darken it a bit, but if anyone knows something that would work better I could use the advice
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 03:03 PM UTC
well if you are using an airbrush either tamaiya, vallejo, or any other good gloss will work as far as aerosol i would think the tamiya would be better suited as it should be formulated for its own paint and as far as the color darkening it is normal
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 12:41 AM UTC
I've often had this problem after using "future" on my base coat, I believe this to be an issue with light reflection on a glossy surface and when after washes etc the final coat of matt varnish should "lighten" the finnish back to somewhere closer to the original.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 01:38 AM UTC
I generally lighten my basecoats so that filtering,overcoating,and washing won't darken them too much.For example Tamiya Dunkelgelb looks good out of jar until you put the various coats on it.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC
I agree with Paul. A gloss coat such as Future/Pledge will darken the underlying paint job. But flat coating it (Tamiya flat/Future) will restore the original shade. Better to anticipate this in advance and lighten your base colors accordingly.
 _GOTOTOP