_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Alternatives to create mud with plaster
jamingui
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 11:12 PM UTC
I love the texture of the mud mixing Ak enamels and plaster. However the plaster changes substantially the color of the enamel, makes it lighter. I would like to know alternatives to create mud and having consistency in colours, and if possible not mixing it every time.
For display models I don't mind using plaster but for my wargaming models (At the moment I am doing a T-34/85 company) i need something that has consistency in colour and if possible ready made to save time.
For instance, has someone experience with the MIG acrylic resin? Does work mixing just pigments and the acrylic resin to create mud? Does it need still plaster? Changes the resin the color of the pigments?
I searched ready made alternatives. Easy Mud from Maru Technics looks good but it seems went out of business. Has someone tried the ready made mud from MIG?
Another option is Reality in Scale Mud-in-a-Pot. I tried to search reviews of it but i found none. Anyone has experience with that product?

Thanks in advance.

Javier
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
I was taught mud techniques using Hudson and Allen pigments and mixing them with various paints and thinners and what nots (no plaster). I'm not an expert and only build for my pleasure and relaxation. H&A pigments mixed with a wide variety of paints makes great mud and sticks to the model. I have other products I'm looking forward to trying including the MIG ready-made mud. Happy Holiday Season to you. Alex
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
Javier,
You can check this out,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8F50kWRD0U
Its a new mud product I have that comes in different varieties. There are some more pics here http://scenicfactorydio.com/Scenery_Construction.php
The muddy road.
Unfortunately my web store will be closed till January 1st while I replenish stock (Mostly trees and tree products)(Thanks to all for treating yourselves to Christmas!, It has been overwhelmingly busy)
- John
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
All spent out for 2013. The items from the Scenic Factory look awesome and will invest in their products in 2014.
jamingui
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
John,

looking forward to the opening of your store. Your products are exactly what i need, the diorama looks great!
Happy Holiday Season

Javier
 _GOTOTOP