_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Achzarit kit by MENG some small points to put
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:16 PM UTC
As several people ask me to write about my impression from the build up photos that posted by Meng I decide to point out several those that I can see based on limited number of photos that posted.

As I mention before the kit looks nice and worth to have it for any IDF modeler. For more accurate model build I suggest to pay attention for the next points that can be easily fixed/added by using some reference that you have ( I also refer to pages in my book for the benefit of the modelers that already have the book or will get it soon).

1) Every Achzarit has a special 4 tie down points that welded on each front hull sides. This points are for tied with ropes the square canvas that carry usually the markings. Again, it need to be there, for their exact position see reference photos or modelers that have my recent book on Achzarit (Wild and Cruel Cat vol 3) see photos or scale drawings for example on page 12, 44, 51. Again I am not bolt counting, in this case this tie downs are important and equivalent for example for the tie downs on the Centurion tank turret stowage boxes.

2) There are 3 areas where a welding lines that not supposed to be still exist or left on the main hull sides, a square one above the central cable holding bracket and two circular one above the rear cable securing bracket. This welding need to be removed if you are going to build the variant of the Achzarit that shown in the kit. See for more info drawings on pages 44-45 and many other photos in different pages of the book. .

3) There are several brackets that are undersized or not accurate or both.

A) For example the metal covered box that holding the communication box in the top front center of the Achzarit, for more details see scale drawings on pages 28-30 and photos on pages for example 60 -61.

B) For Example – The upside shape U brackets that two of each need to be around each Remote Overhead Weapon Systems (ROWS) are undersize and not corr ect, see photos on pages 61 and 63 for example.

4) Major wide welding lines are missing and need to be add on the sides of the central main hull.

5) Other smaller welding lines need to be added as well on the lower armor plates.

6) The TOGA armor plates on the left side of the vehicle need to be corrected. I don’t know why but looks that Meng cut out small squares in the PE and probably than fill it with plastic rivet from inside face, this produce sink square effect and it wrong. The PE on this area need to be simply flat without the holes and than be attached from outside with large rivet. See drawings on pages 44-45 and photos on page 59.

7) Additional details on the TOGA armor are missing or not correct, it will be better I think to have the hinges in plastic. See drawings on pages 44-45 and photos on page 51 and 59.

8) The smoke grenade bracket on the left side of the vehicle is wrong, need small modification, compare to reference or see full details on page 69.

9) There is no rear photo of the model so hard to say how it looks but from what I can see the vertical spacing in the rear metal stowage basket are wrong, See drawings on pages 46 and photos on page 54 -55.

10) The wall of the engine deck on the left side of the vehicle need some modification since it is not one part as seen in the model

11) Achzarit is APC and not tank, it use by infantry units thus the weapons that used are those used by the infantry platoons, thus 99.9% of the time the FN MAG machine gun will be infantry style with the aim point on the end of the barrel and many times with the folding legs. It is important since it allow the crew to take the machine gun with them if there is a need.

12) The ammo boxes brackets of the machine guns lack many detail especially on the top area, see page 68.

13) The dimples in the central main side hull armor looks too deep, in reality they are barely seen and after thick paint sometimes they disappear, so this trick can be used here too.

14) Most of the Achzarits used plastic fabric cover over the smoke grenades to prevent the dust and powder to enter inside. This covers have a zip lock around that allow quick opening when needed. Add the cover with some green putty.

This are some of the points that I decide to point out as I can see from the photos posted. I can not point now on any major issues (if any) since I don’t have yet the kit and without the kit it not possible to do so.

However I hope that they put in the box also
1) The 60 mm mortar.
2) The internal feeding ammo chain for the ROWS.
3) Spider Web wheels since many of the Achzarit have many times one of this wheels See many such Achzarit photos in the book.

Till the next part keep the models running and I send my thanks to hundreds of the modelers that order my book, thank for your support and trust.

Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.SabIngaMartin.com
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:22 PM UTC
A very useful post and postive advert for your reference book. .... I'd love to try the Meng kit one day (wishful thinking lol)

cheers
Brent
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
Thank you for pointing out all these fixes.

By the way, I had asked a question that never got answered. Is MENG's IDF tank crew set suitable for this early Achzarit?

By the way, I got the very first figure you make, and it's very good. You should definitely do more figures!

Hisham
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
Doc, great news thank you for posting, I, however, like others are challenged with a feeble mind that requires visual stimuli in place of a millennium of words. If there were any way for you to post a few photos of the areas you are describing, I know that I would be more able to understand which areas you are talking about. Cheers.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC
We should have one of these in for review any day now.

Cheers,
Jim
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:09 PM UTC
An "unboxing" video would be great

Hisham
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hisham
Thanks for the compliments, which one you got?
I will look later on the figures and let you know.

Damon
I will try later, when the time will allow me.

Jim please send me your address so I can send you my book for rev. as well.

Robert

Dr.Robert Manasherob
www.SabIngaMartin.com
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC
I got your very first figure - IDF Tanker No.1.. a very nice figure of an early tanker

Here's a pic of MENG's IDF tank crew

Hisham
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:41 PM UTC
One more question, if I may... I'm greedy, I know

If I want to build the rear entry tunnel open with a figure running out of it, would much of the interior show, or would it be enough to build something that just gives a hint of an interior?

Hisham
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
Hi
This figure represent tank crew that are dressed with tanker overall. The crew and operators of Achzarit belong to infantry thus most of the time dressed with infantry style and web.
You can use for sure the one on the left side (lets call it figure 1) since the flack jacket covers the overall. The number 3 can also be used if you modify a little bit the web so it looks like the infantry one.
Regarding number 2 and 4, also can be used depending on the content, like if the Achzarit standing near the tank, or the operators are not organic team of the infantry but came to operate the Achzarit and help the unit.

Robert
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:52 PM UTC
Well the corridor is long and with some slopes, thus teh area that can be seen is mainly the right central and front side, since the soldier will cover most of it you can build only teh general brackets like the chairs etc.
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.SabIngaMartin.com
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:55 PM UTC
Thanks for clearing that up!

So, something like this BlackDog set would be perfect.. like coming out of the Achzarit and spreading out?

Last question, I promise
Hisham
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 02:19 PM UTC
Yes,
Again also depending on the years of the service, dont forget that the Aczarit is in service more than 20 years, so the infantry gear was changed with the time as well.

Robert

Dr. Robert Manasjerob
www.SabIngaMartin.com
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One more question, if I may... I'm greedy, I know

If I want to build the rear entry tunnel open with a figure running out of it, would much of the interior show, or would it be enough to build something that just gives a hint of an interior?

Hisham

This may get you started.

Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 11:17 PM UTC
Thanks, Dr. Manasherob, for being patient and answering all my questions

Robert.. thanks for the teaser! Might you have a pic that shows the general layout of the inside? I can't tell which part that is Or maybe you know where I can find one? I tried Googleing, but no interior pics

Hisham
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 01:52 AM UTC
Send me your email address again. It'll probably save me ten minutes of my life.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
E-mail sent.. and thanks in advance!

Hisham
Lazzarus78
Visit this Community
Switzerland
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thank you Robert for showing us this. Will be a useful help for the build process, specially the notes for sides in the book. Will make it easily to find them.
If it is allowed, i wanna say something. Thought about the last two days about the posts in the forum, specially in the Meng Achzarit thread, it makes me a little bit pensive/thoughtful.
We are all grown ups, so it is always possible somebody does not like someone else. That could happen, no big deal. No reason to get personal in any way. For myself, i wanna have fun with the hobby, on models i am interested in invest more money, time or whatever, some i build out of the box, just for fun. Everybody has his own reasons for building a vehicle or a figure, plane....
There are also a lot of people like Robert Manasherob, Robert Skipper, Michael Mass and everybody i forgot to list here, they invest a lot of time to do books and cd`s, reviews and other stuff with a huge load of information and photos, or support producers in their research for they`re future models. I think these people not only do this for money. They give us something with that we can create our own personal models, our limit is our will, fantasy and skills. We should give this people a little bit more respect, they give us something you can`t pay for, they give us the possibility to do something that we love and we can spend time on a hobby that makes us happy.
A lot of peoples on this world are not in the situation to do what makes them happy or to build models and talk about it on the internet with other people from all over the world.
So this is a thank to everybody who supports us with photos, books and helpful informations about everything that has to do with the hobby.
We are a community here and i think everybody deserves respect.
So thats it, getting a little bit long, sorry for that. Hope everybody understand what i wanna say, my english isn`t the best.
Cheers to everybody. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.

Christoph

SabIngaMartin
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks Christoph for your mail.

Robert
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi again

Some additional points as I saw some more photos of the kit that were posted.

1) The wheels lack the lubrication nipples in the center, for full details see pages 70-71 (funny but I also forget to add the dot in my drawing).

2) Yes the stowage basket for sure have some shape problems as mention earlier.

3) At least 2 of the registration PE numbers and decals that supplied can not be used with this specific type of the Achzarit, looks that Meng or people that help them not aware for variant A and variant B of the Mark 1 Achzarit,
(see again my book for details on 4 different variants of the early Achzarit).

4) The internal details looks great and a lot of work already done, a fact that can help very much to people that want to keep the door open.

5) I will not be surprised that some aftermarket companies as well Meng itself will do a separate internal components (probably with the second kit).

Will add some more as I will get the kit itself.
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.SabIngaMartin.com
 _GOTOTOP