_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Cover Up - Update #1
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
Here's the project so far. I still need to add more sandbags, apply weathering, debris, etc. There will be a table made from a door resting on two oil drums which the gun crew will be sitting at.

alpha-1-7-0
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: -2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
hey there mike

great looking stuff - be great to see the finished article. is that flak the tamiya kit? ive seen it a few times at my local shop, it looks a good little kit to build.

alpha
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 03:29 PM UTC
Looking good so far..keep up the good work. Next set of photos see if you can get them focused a bit better. Be watching for updates!
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 05:43 PM UTC
Another update. I have the sandbags done... they were made with Sculpey. I'm still trying to get the hang of my wife's new camera. Not at all like the one I am used to.

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hi there you work out nicely and fast i can say . What's the Scalpey that u made the sandbasgs of? is it a kind of modelling clay or epoxy stuff like 2 parts epoxy putty ?
waiting to see more of it
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:10 AM UTC
Sculpey is a polymer clay that you harden in the oven. It stays maleable at room temperature. If you wam it up in your hands, it becomes even more soft. I was able to purchase a large box of the stuff through my wife's craft business.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
Howdy Mike: Looks like this is progressing well for you. The bricks are cork, like on your article right? Does the cork take paint very well? One question about the sculpey, did u bake it, and did it shrink? Or will it be ok at room temp if you are careful? I have this stuff and have been hesitant to use it, any tips you have for proper use would be helpful.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:54 AM UTC
Lookin' good so far, Michael! Can't wait to see the project finished. :-)
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
Bob, thanks for the compliments on the sandbags. You can't see the detail, but I did texture the sandbags. The texture should show up better once they are finished. I have several lengths of brass rod that I will be cutting into shell casings. I also have some cheap paint brushes that will be used to simulate hay/straw. I'm going to glue the remenants of a stall to the floor, I just haven't decided where yet.

Bison, the bricks are indeed cork. Usually I prime them with auto primer and then drybrush. I'm going to try a different technique this time. We'll both have to see how it turns out . I did bake the Sculpey, and it didn't shrink. Or if it did, not enough to notice. I would not suggest that you leave it unbaked. The clay is quite soft and won't stand up to time, nor take paint when unbaked. To make the sandbags I started with a ball of clay about the size of a marble. I kneaded it well and then rolled it into a ball. I then formed it into a rectangular shape and gently cut a seam all around. I pushed it into place with my fingers whilst coaxing it into the desired shape. I then touched up the seam. After the wall was built, I textured the bricks with some gauze to give it a burlap appearance. I found that if you line your working surface with tin foil you can lift the completed structure and place it in the oven. You have to bake the clay at 275F for 15min for each 1/4in thickness of material. Mine took about 25 minutes and then I left it in the oven to cool. If the wall is going to be higher than 4 to 6 courses, then I would pierce the wall with wire every so often. You could hide any strands with the last course of sandbags.
 _GOTOTOP