_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Help with painting Merkavas
IronWarriorsVorax
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi,

I need some help with knowing what paints and from which company I need to paint a Merkava MKI and a Merkava MKIV.

I'm planning on painting the Merkava MKI as if it was in the 1982 Lebanon War and the MKIV like this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/MerkavaMk4_ZE001m.jpg

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 11:18 AM UTC
For that time period, I like Humbrol Khaki Drill #72, or MM SAC Bomber Tan cut 50/50 with Header White. See my gallery to see if you like it as well.

The Merk is Humbrol, the Cent is Model Master.
IronWarriorsVorax
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
Thank you for the help. What products would you suggest I buy to weather the Merks?
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Try this link, make sure to check all the links in the thread.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/191101#1599593

didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC
For weathering I would suggest plain artist oils thinned with odorless mineral spirits. Buy the basics and you can build a limitless palate from there. Black, white, blue, yellow, red. Then Umber, Sienna and Ocher, I prefer both raw and burnt varieties. These are especially useful for desert environment weathering. I also have a set of old chalky (not soft) earth tone pastels that I really enjoy using. I find that they get me most of what I need save for the metallic look, which can be done somewhat with artist graphite and come colored pencils. Cheers.
massonbd
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Noobie here

I'm painting a meng and so far iv completed the bulk of the construction. Iv applied a non slip surface using some rustoleum textured acrylic. it worked perfectly and it has been covered in tamiya desert yellow. Now the surface is flat and large areas are textured avoiding panel lines and details. it turned out great but now I want to apply a wash and filters but I'm unsure of weather I should jump I to using a gloss to prepare for the washes. I don't want to loose the flat look of the model and I'm realy unsure of how the wash will react to the textured surface. Also if I am to use a gloss clear and a wash over my acrylics what should remain acrylic and what should be oil based? also what color of wash should I use? I am planning to use Vallejo pre mixed washes . Thanks for your help guys this is my first real armor model and I want it to turn out well. If you guys want to see what I'm working with hers a link I'm not sure if it will work but I figured I'd give it a try. https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/406869/ppuser/55038
 _GOTOTOP