_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Painting the un ditching log
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
Howdy fella's

I'm looking for a good technique for painting the unditching log. So have you guys got a technique you would be happy to share?

Cheers.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Jonathan;

Well there are several ways that I can think off, a Wood tan, or a Brown color painted then Dry Brushed. And you could use the Natural Wood look by using a Wood Dowel, or just a Branch off a tree. And check your references for the type of vehicle that you are going too use it on. Now depending on the said vehicle, they mite even be painted in the color of the vehicle itself. ie; T-55, T-62, T-72. etc.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 10:42 AM UTC
Cheers Mike
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 11:33 AM UTC
If the log is vehicle color typically I paint it in any number of shades of brown that strike my fancy then I usually lightly sponge on the vehicle color to make it look like its been used. If its natural wood I use several shades of brown to replicate the look of wood.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi Guys;

When building a Soviet vehicle, I have turned too using a wood dowel, which is easy too come by at my local Craft Store or even the Hardware store, and they come in about three feet in length, which is enough for five or six vehicles. I then like too take the log after cut too size and then make it appear more scale in appearance, now this all depends on the particular vehicle in question. I will then take it and start the weathering or Ageing process, ( if you like,) Again depending on the look that I am trying too replicate, take the log and Roll it in Damp Dirt.
Then using your finger Rub the dirt into the wood, now depending on the look , you can go back and repeat the process. Now this is just my method, you mite not like it.

CHEERS; MIKE.
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 05:06 AM UTC
Great info. Thanks guys.
 _GOTOTOP