_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Iwata HP-CS problem
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 10:51 AM UTC
I accidentally dropped the nozzle of my Iwata HP-CS into a bathroom sink drain hole and retrieved it from the U-shaped trap.

I cleaned the nozzle and other parts and reassembled the AB.

Now, when I press the trigger without pulling it back, a small amount of paint is sprayed. I re-seated the needle but the same problem happens.

On a related note, I used to see paint only around the needle tip area. Now, I see paint even at the middle area of the needle.

What do you think is the cause? Does it sound like the nozzle is damaged?
jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 11:51 AM UTC
Its either the needle or the nozzle and you may not be able to see the minute damage with the naked eye. Check both with a magnifying glass. ( would guess the nozzle)
Sometimes if you seat the needle to tight, you can damage the nozzle.
I'm surprised you were able to retrieve it.
I use Iwata's and those are usually the 2 culprits.
-John
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:06 PM UTC
Might want to check with Iwata if they do free repairs. I know that I have sent my Badgers and Aztek AB's in for free repairs (just expect a month or so without them). I have an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS I use only on special occasions but have not had to replace anything on it yet. I have ordered from Chicago Airbrush supply. If Iwata support won't fix it for you, you can order a replacement nozzle from Chicago Airbrush Supply (plug). Here is the link:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/iwataparts.html

Cheers
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hi!

Sounds like an issue I had a bit back...

I thought mine was just grunged-up - took the dinged nozzle and cleaned it super well (acetone soak followed by several ultrasound cycles), found that it still did not perform right.

I inspected it on the AB with a hand-lens and saw that it appeared that the needle did not seem to protrude as much when "fully-seated" as it did on my other Iwata HP-CS (2 of them. Am I a fan or what?)...

I inserted the needle with moderate pressure and spun the needle around a few times in the AB while watching under hand-lens. I re-rounded the opening and restored the nozzle to the AB. Things seem to work much better.

This is a sort of "last-ditch" thing - your nozzle is bent and the opening deformed. This MAY reform that opening and restore some use - it's no loss to try, but no surety of a fix. IF it's "no joy", you'll need another nozzle anyway.

Bob
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
The nozzle hit the bathroom sink, bounced and fell into the sink hole.

The nozzle tip doesn't look right; it looks slightly bent.

Does a damaged nozzle cause paint to backflow???

Anyway, I've learned a lesson. I will NEVER clean, disassemble or assemble an airbrush in a bathroom
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, I've learned a lesson. I will NEVER clean, disassemble or assemble an airbrush in a bathroom

Or cut off PE parts in a room with tan shag carpet

Cheers
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC
I'm not sure if my HP-CS has suddenly developed a paint backflow problem. I always take out the needle through the front opening. Due to the poorly seated needle, there must have been excessive paint inside the front area of my Eclipse. Probably, that's why I saw paint in the middle and rear areas of the needle.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC
I once broke off the nozzles threads in the airbrush when I tightened it too tightly. Iwata took care of it for me free of charge even after warranty. Iwata has great CS and they will help you out. You can also order spare nozzles and needles, but they are pricey. I always have an extra needle and nozzle on hand in case I lose or damage either.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC
I went to HL, used a 40% off coupon and bought a new nozzle. It took care of the problem. I still cannot believe that the original nozzle was damaged so easily!
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
An airbrush is like a woman or a wife , you have to treat it right , roses and chocolates and best of the cleaning solutions money can buy . All else fails get a bottle of wild turkey .
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

An airbrush is like a woman or a wife , you have to treat it right , roses and chocolates and best of the cleaning solutions money can buy . All else fails get a bottle of wild turkey .

And no matter how well you think you are treating it, it will still give you trouble!
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My airbrushes are the sexiest tools I've ever used in my life. Just saying...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC
I just ordered a nozzle, for my HP-C. I have had the same problem with it. I believe it is actually meant to fit the HP-CS. Let me know if you want a spare. Not looking for total recompensation. I'll be buying a new ab, as parts are getting difficult to find.
 _GOTOTOP