_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Which brushes?
XLNTDONE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 12:52 AM UTC
New to the hobby and and present airbrushing is beyond me with knowhow and more importantly area to use one,so its hand painting.i have looked on the subject and see vellejo paint is probly the best for starters and tamiya also good.see that flat brushes are needed unless for small detail but i can not see what type of hair/bristle i need.Do i need different for water based and solvent in the tamiya case.want to get a fairly good quality brush selection.
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
i like the red sable hair brushes as they hold thier form better and hold up to accrylics better in my opinion how ever they can be expensive and for me hard to find unless i buy them online
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi Gary,

If your using Tamiya acrylics I found that the softer the bristles the better more even the paint sets. Sadly I'm not sure what the bristle type is as I tend to buy brushes kinda at random, if it looks good I give it a try. Contemporary Crafts brand #4 round (245B) is one such brush that has very soft bristles and I have had great success hand painting with Tamiya acrylic paint. Hope this helps.

R.J.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
Sable brushes really hold up to abuse(IMO).
For brush painting, i would definitely recommend Vallejo paints. The Tamiya's are much more difficult to brush on.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sable brushes really hold up to abuse(IMO).
For brush painting, i would definitely recommend Vallejo paints. The Tamiya's are much more difficult to brush on.

Try the Tamiya acrylic paint retarder it might change your opinion of the paint afterwards.
 _GOTOTOP