_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
ERA for ODS M60s
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hello! I have some remaining sheet styrene left and I was wondering how to use that to make ERA for M60s used in Desert Storm. What thickness should it be? How large is each block? Are there any detail or are they smooth on the external side? How do you mount them? Thanks!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC
That is a big job. The blocks have an abundance of bolt details on them and are mounted on posts welded to the turret and hull. I can't see wanting to do this when there are several different boxings of the Academy M60A1 w/ERA (with and without M9 dozer) and a decent Tamiya USMC M60A1 w/ERA. Without looking at either of my kits, I would guess that the blocks are between 1/8" and 1/4" thick in 1:35 scale.

On the actual vehicle, short posts that are about 4" to 6" tall are welded on the tank. The blocks are then mounted to the posts with the bolts (the posts have threaded holes in the center). Some sections of blocks are mounted on racks for the uneven portions of the tank like the mantlet.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply!

Primarily, I want to save money and since I already have an M60, I wanted to just scratch build the ERA blocks with whatever sheet styrene I have. Unfortunately, I don't have casting materials so that means I would be making each block with detail - ouch!

Could you perhaps send me a pic or drawing of the instruction manuals of the M60 with ERA? And/or diagrams on the posts/racks and arrangements for the ERA? Many thanks!
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:55 PM UTC
I do not have time right now, but can scan my Academy instructions for you tonight, or at lease the part that you want.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not have time right now, but can scan my Academy instructions for you tonight, or at lease the part that you want.

Thanks! That'll do perhaps. If you're going to email it, let me know so I can give my email address. Thanks again!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can scan the Tamiya instructions if you like.
Just leave your e-mail address so I can send them to you.

Thanks very much! My email is [email protected] Thanks very much!
 _GOTOTOP