_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Tilly Update & Stowage Set
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
Alan McNeilly takes a look at the Legends Productions Update and Stowage Set for the Tamiya Austin Tilly.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks for the review and images Alan. I have now decided, I "need" this. I believe this set gives the Tamiya kit a big lift. The molding is typical tamiya ... too perfect and lifeless. The wrinkles in the resin tarp and wheel cover, along with the rolled details, give a touch of realism and even life. All the small details also add life and interest.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi Frank,

I've posted up some build pics for you in the Tilly thread. Just note there is a fair amount of clean up at the drivers end and a slight alteration needed either on the tarp of the kit part. Patience will get you a good fit.

Cheers

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 11:11 PM UTC
Thanks Alan .... will check it out now.
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 07:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the review.

Noticed in closing comments that the set as a whole is more suited to later versions. Was planing to use this for a desert based vehicle (sans the engine cover), but is the cargo tarp also not valid for Africa?

regards,
Jack
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Jack,

Leave out the jerry-cans and probably the radiator cover. I don't think it was use in the desert as you'd want as much air as possible getting to the radiator.

The only picture I've seen of a desert Tilly is the one in Sudan 40/41 finished in 'Caunter' scheme and it's shown without the tarp although either way would be possible.

So you could do a desert version as it comes out of the box.

Al

JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
Thanks again, Alan.

Has this photo's location ever been properly identified?

[http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/thread/1247656135/last-1249124614/Tilly%27s+in+Africa,+or+Italy.[/url]

Any info on this one:

From what I've been reading on forums, desert colours would be rare for a Tilly, and likely would remain European/Homefront colours?

Any known photos of the Newfoundland 166th Artillery Regiment in Tunisia? These had some interesting names on their Tillys, 'Aces and Eights' and 'Straight Flush'.

regards,
Jack
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hi Jack,

Two nice photographs. The best source of information on the Tilly is Mike Shackleton who runs the Tilly Register.

http://www.tillyregister.com/

You'll find a contact link in the tabs at the top of the site. If you contact Mike directly he's usually more than willing to help with any questions and would also be interested in any pictures you come across.

You premiss is correct that most B vehicles just remained in their UK colours but that was not always the case, so for your desert vehicle you could apply a camo scheme.

The picture you posed of the Aussie, is in Mike's book 'Tilly Colours '- data says it is an unknown desert vehicle but possibly the picture was taken in Syria.

The second picture is unknown to me and Mike would be the best person to answer your 3rd question.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Al
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 02:29 PM UTC
I have this stowage set, and I like it a lot. The problem is I don't do 1/48 or much WWII, except aircraft.
Would this be found on US bases in England?
Specifically, I want to use it with my Trumpeter C-47 for a "Night of nights" dio, but my research yields no photos of this combination.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Trumpeter makes a 1:35 C-47? That thing must be huge!

Jim
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 03:14 PM UTC
Damn, I got confused there.
I've got the set, but somehow while Googling to find where I could get the base kit, I got it stuck in my mind that I needed the Tamiya one in 1/48. I guess it'll have to be a 1/32 Spit then, which I don't yet have...
I'd hate to waste the set. The one shop near me doesn't have the 1/35 kit.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

Yes it's a 1/35 scale set. In regard to your original question there is no photographic evidence that the Austin Tilly was ever issued to RAF ground units. 'Tilly Colours' states "Austin and Morris Utilities were NOT in RAF use."

There is a lot of evidence of the RAF using Hillman Tilly's and I believe they also had some Sandards.

If anyone has a photograph to the contrary that would be really good.

You'll have to draw your own conclusions, few records were kept of B vehicles and in modelling terms never say never but there is nothing to support the issue of Austins to the RAF other than the confusion of war.

Cheers

Al
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 12:27 PM UTC
I think I may have found another Tilly photo in North Africa. It's actually on a film taken in Egypt at a workshop with vehicles be painting. The Tilly looks dark colour in two tone camou - found at the 1:37 minute mark.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060033073

regards,
Jack
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi Jack,

The one on the road. Thanks for reminding me of the clip, I had seen it before but forgotten all about it. Very handy painting reference and useful piece if film.

Cheers.

Al
 _GOTOTOP