_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to thin Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hi guys I'm new to airbrushing, but not modeling. I want to thin my Tamiya acrylics so that I can use them in my AB. Does anyone know what ratio I should use to thin it, and which type of tamiya thinner I should use, as there are a few different ones. Also, does anyone know what pressure I should use to spray the paint? The AB head itself is a Master Airbrush model G44
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:10 PM UTC
I spray Tamiya and Mr Hobby , they both can use the X20A thinner or lacquer thinner . I start at 50/50 mix and maybe 5% acrylic paint retarder and spray at 18 to 22 PSIG . After spraying even if the paint dries leave it alone and let it cure overnight it's going to be soft until fully dried . I also use this mix to brush paint , just don't go over the freshly painted surface more than once . Hope this helps .
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi,
I have used 50-50 paint to isopropylic alcohol, much cheaper than Tamiya thinner, and always went fine.

Best regards,

Carlos
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
Gary

I have found the best method to be to thin the paint to the consistency of milk, and spray in THIN coats. I use lacquer thinner.

I used to use acrylic thinner, but lacquer thinner gives much smoother results.

Regards

Rob
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 01:46 PM UTC
I use 50/50 or 40 paint 60 thinner as some colours seem slightly thicker than others. I am aware that all sorts of products can and have been used to thin Tamiya paint but I would always stick to Tamiya thinner as I always get the same results.

I spray between 10 and 30 PSI depending on airbrush type and finish I am looking for.
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I hope i can get the hang of it now that I have an idea of what to do.
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 03:02 PM UTC
I've always used Model Masters acrylic thinner. It's cheaper and readily available around where I live. It also comes in a handy squeeze bottle. I mix about 60% paint to 40% thinner. I just use plain generic (cheap) window cleaner to clean up afterwards.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys I'm new to airbrushing, but not modeling. I want to thin my Tamiya acrylics so that I can use them in my AB. Does anyone know what ratio I should use to thin it, and which type of tamiya thinner I should use, as there are a few different ones. Also, does anyone know what pressure I should use to spray the paint? The AB head itself is a Master Airbrush model G44

I use isopropyl alcohol to thin tamiya paints and have no problems
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I have used 50-50 paint to isopropylic alcohol, much cheaper than Tamiya thinner, and always went fine.

Best regards,

Carlos

I have no doubts on the IPA will work fine , and as you said cheaper . It's just the x20a is formulated for the paint and has no hidden surprises .
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like others here, I have been using 91% Rubbing Alcohol to thin Tamiya paint going on 15 years. I've never had any issues with this method. I thin the paint 50/50 - to the consistency of milk. For the cost of a 1.5 oz bottle of Tamiya thinner, I can buy 2 quarts of rubbing alcohol.

For general coverage, I set the pressure to around 10-15 psi on my Iwata. If I'm doing camo work and I need fine lines, then I lower the pressure to around 4-5 psi.

HTH,
Steve
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 04:56 PM UTC
Thanks Steve. didn't know you could thin it with rubbing alcohol. Also I'll have to try to play with the pressure. Overall, it seems most people say I should use around 50/50 paint/thinner mix asnd spray at aroung 20 psi.
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Steve. didn't know you could thin it with rubbing alcohol. Also I'll have to try to play with the pressure. Overall, it seems most people say I should use around 50/50 paint/thinner mix asnd spray at aroung 20 psi.

20 psi is good, but I generally spray at 15. Personal preference, I suppose. One other suggestion. At that pressure, don't hold the AB too far away from the work. Anything over 6" is too far. The paint will dry in midair and it will look like fine sandpaper.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - 06:07 PM UTC
I almost exclusively use Tamiya acrylics and use only Tamiya acrylic thinner.

For base coats: I use a 50/50 paint/thinner mix and spray @ 20 psi, 4-6 inches away from the model.

For camo patterns: I use a 40/60 paint/thinner mix and spray @10 psi close to the model.

For camo blending/dusting: I use a 10/90 paint/thinner mix and spray @25 psi 6-8 inches away.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
There is no hard and fast thinning ratio or pressure, there are too many other variables, such as the viscosity of the paint in the bottle, the type of airbrush, the humidity etc etc.

I try to thin as little as possible, but about 30/70 is probably what I use.

I use X20A, I find the paint dries too fast with straight IPA, although it does spray really well with Tamiya lacquer thinner.
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC
Ive also been considereing buying one of those Tamiya Spray Work painting stands. I found one for about $20. I currently spray my parts on a peice of plywood or cardboard, but then when I take the parts off it some of the old dried paint comes off with the parts and leaves little lines of multi colored paint chunks on the edges. It's not hard to scrape them off, but do you guys think I should get one?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:15 AM UTC
For that price I would say try it , it can only make you painting better . Less touching the model to reposition it .
slowburn
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
I uses X20A and thin it by eye. Mix the paint and thinner in a glass container. When a drop on the side of the container slides down quickly but leaves a solid streak of colour, you're about there. I spray at aout 12-15psi.

HTH
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:45 PM UTC
Mr hobby makes an Aqueous hobby color thinner , it's compatible with Tamiya acrylic . And you could step up to Mr Color which is lacquer but sure has a smell .
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ive also been considereing buying one of those Tamiya Spray Work painting stands. I found one for about $20. I currently spray my parts on a peice of plywood or cardboard, but then when I take the parts off it some of the old dried paint comes off with the parts and leaves little lines of multi colored paint chunks on the edges. It's not hard to scrape them off, but do you guys think I should get one?

I have a Tamiya painting stand and love it. I've gotten more than what I paid for from the very functional stand.
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 04:44 AM UTC
Well, I guess I'll buy one. I I was painting a little last night and when I went to take a part off after it dried, I almost broke it, so I'm done with that. I guess I'll give the stand a try.
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Also, what do you guys mix your paints in for AB'ing? My local hobby shop has a little set of small glass mixing jars for model painting. Do you guys think I should get them, or is there something else I can use?
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, what do you guys mix your paints in for AB'ing? My local hobby shop has a little set of small glass mixing jars for model painting. Do you guys think I should get them, or is there something else I can use?

there are some small plastic things i use. i dont remember what they are called, but can be found in first aid kits that you would find in a very large wall mounted kit. i found these at work. they work great. they are intended to be used to flush eyes out. but they are oval shaped and flexible, so it makes it easy to pour into an AB after mixing.
with enough time, you will collect empty bottles that had paint in them. they work excellent when you need something to mix paint in, and to store for later use. i have a good handful of model master bottles that i have collected over the last few years, that i keep for those instances
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 09:13 AM UTC
I don't use many bottle paints right now, so that may take a while. Also, do you guys screen the mixed paint as you pour it into you ab, or does it not matter?
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Gary
I pour in the paint then thinner into the airbrush pot, mix with a brush then thats it ready to go. I mix my Tamiya with good old screen wash (yuuup the one you use in your car) works great, is cheap and goes a long way, 60% paint 40% thinner.

Pete
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would, to start off with. But also, like Jesse mentioned, I save the old Tamiya paint jars when they're empty. These can be reused over and over - to mix paint and store them. After the bottle is empty, I soak it in water/dish detergent to remove the old paint and rub the label off.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP