? 'Braille" origin ?
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 675 posts
Armorama: 667 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hey all ,
I've posted this in General Modeling Questions also -- What is the origin of the "Braille" in Braille Scale .

Keith
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC
I am not sure, but Braille is the printed language for the blind. "Braille" perhaps means the Braille scale vehicle are so small that they could only be felt.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC
Don't know where the term originated, but my assumption is that it is kind of black humour, working in tiny small scales strains the eyes to the point of blindness.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not sure, but Braille is the printed language for the blind. "Braille" perhaps means the Braille scale vehicle are so small that they could only be felt.

"Braille" comes from "Louis Braille" and his system of dots generating a printed language for the blind.....and that's the easy part.......where (why and when) 1/72 modelling went into that loop is the tricky bit!!

Cheers

Romain

urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 04:11 AM UTC
I was thinking along those lines ,, but ?
It's completely new to me as I'm just getting back into the hobby .
Does anyone know how long the term has been around ?

Personally --I think you need to get to 144th or smaller to get to "blindingly small"
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 04:17 AM UTC
"Braille" rhymes with "Scale" and the models are so small you feel like a blind person trying to look at them...

Perhaps not very "politically correct" or appropriately "sensitive" to the feelings of the visually-challenged, but there it is.

It seems to me that I first heard the term years and years ago (early 80's at least) used by aircraft modelers - mostly 1/48th scale fans - to poke fun at the guys who like 1/72 scale A/C.

"Braille Scale," just a catchy and irreverent diminutive to describe the genre. Nothing too mysterious.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC
I've wondered about the Etymology of the term, too. I figured it had to do with braille dots being very small and the eye strain of working in the scales.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
Basically this term and what it refers to seems to have changed over the years. Years ago it always seemed to refer to scales larger than 1/72, the inference being that you had to move up to "Braille Scales" as your eyesight failed. Some people referred specifically to 1/48 as the original "Braille Scale." As things seem to currently stand, the term today (at least in many model shows) refers to any scale 1/72 and smaller (1/76, 1/87, 1/100, 1/144...). I've also read that there are derogatory terms that small scale devotees use for 1/48 and larger scales such as "Toe Scale" (you can find parts with your toes) and more recently "LEGO Scale".

Cheers,
Jan
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
@ TREAD_GEEK ,
So the meaning has reversed !
Interesting .

Would "Lego Scale" refer to anything other than stuff built out of Legos ?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Basically this term and what it refers to seems to have changed over the years. Years ago it always seemed to refer to scales larger than 1/72, the inference being that you had to move up to "Braille Scales" as your eyesight failed. Some people referred specifically to 1/48 as the original "Braille Scale." As things seem to currently stand, the term today (at least in many model shows) refers to any scale 1/72 and smaller (1/76, 1/87, 1/100, 1/144...). I've also read that there are derogatory terms that small scale devotees use for 1/48 and larger scales such as "Toe Scale" (you can find parts with your toes) and more recently "LEGO Scale".

Cheers,
Jan

That's really interesting. I've never heard the term Braille Scale used that way (to refer to scales larger than 1/72). I wonder if there're regional differences to the usage, then.

I don't hang out with airplane modelers like I used to, and I've never heard either of the terms "Toe Scale" or "LEGO Scale." Are those very recent or have they been used for some time? I'll have to remember to ask the wingy-thingy fans at our next IPMS meeting about those. I've never heard any of the small-scale builders at our AMPS meetings use them either (and about 1/3 of our members build primarily smaller scale armor).

Like I said, that's all pretty interesting.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC
@urumomo - Keith,

Quoted Text

Would "Lego Scale" refer to anything other than stuff built out of Legos ?

I suppose technically most things built out of LEGO's will probably be larger than 1/72 so in that case the term wouldn't apply.

@SdAufKla - Mike,

Quoted Text

That's really interesting. I've never heard the term Braille Scale used that way (to refer to scales larger than 1/72). I wonder if there're regional differences to the usage, then.

I think that it might be safe to say that there undoubtedly will be some regional differences. However, the current "Braille Scale" term and its usage seems to be quite universal (thanks to the Internet). As a point of interest, I've attended several Model Shows hosted by IPMS clubs in different cities and each club seems to have its own focus and view of things that differ from those of the club that I attend.

Quoted Text

I don't hang out with airplane modelers like I used to, and I've never heard either of the terms "Toe Scale" or "LEGO Scale." Are those very recent or have they been used for some time? I'll have to remember to ask the wingy-thingy fans at our next IPMS meeting about those. I've never heard any of the small-scale builders at our AMPS meetings use them either (and about 1/3 of our members build primarily smaller scale armor).

From my understanding, "Toe Scale" was originally propagated throughout the British model clubs. "Braille Scale" is used primarily for vehicles and aircraft. As I haven't "hung out" with ship builders I have no idea what if any terms they might use other than to them 1/350 is considered to be the currently preferred scale. In fact, at most shows that I attend there are two ship category groupings Large and Small with the separator scale being 1/400.

Cheers,
Jan
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking along those lines ,, but ?
It's completely new to me as I'm just getting back into the hobby .
Does anyone know how long the term has been around ?

Personally --I think you need to get to 144th or smaller to get to "blindingly small"

with you there - and ship model builders smile at 1/144.
They build 1/350 and higher

note cockpit window spray mask
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC
Some ship model scales can go down to 1/1200. So that's petty much 'Braille Scale'. Try building a tank in that scale! Figures are right out!
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some ship model scales can go down to 1/1200. So that's petty much 'Braille Scale'. ..

Yep ! 1/72 is huge in ship modeling .

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC
Interesting subject.
Reading on wikipedia that HO and N scale model trains date back to the 1920's after WWI.
Now how accurate is that? Not sure, more research needed, but at least it a starting point. LOL.

See ya in the funnies..............
 _GOTOTOP