_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
When armor crosses a tall grass field
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hello! I'm currently building a diorama of an M1A2 with mine plow crossing a field of tall grass. My question is this:

When a tank crosses such a field, what happens to the grass between the tracks, under the hull once the tank crosses? Do they break? Do they just bend and stay upright again, but looking disturbed?

With the mine plow, does the grass get cut/broken or do they just bend over? Thanks!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
The grass would be bent, probably broken and looking the someone was making crop circles. That blade rides fairly low, but is not "sharp" enough to be cutting the grass.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The grass would be bent, probably broken and looking the someone was making crop circles. That blade rides fairly low, but is not "sharp" enough to be cutting the grass.

Hmmm, M1's making crop circles...

I've been bored lately...

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:06 PM UTC
I'll have my guys run an M1 across the grass adjacent to the airfield next week and take some photos for you. The grass is over waist high. No mine plow though.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC
Would love to see them pics of the crop circles Robin....
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
It depends on type of grass, how dry it is etc. Generally, the grass will stand back up. The cfarther behind the tank the straighter the grass. Don't forget to point the bent grass in direction of travel

Jeff
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
Rob, since you're taking request, could you have your guys take the M1 through a Wendy's drive-thru and then smash some shopping carts at a Super K-Mart, I have an idea for a diorama too.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
I can relate what happens when a CAV platoon crosses a German golf course #:-) It wasn't my platoon, I was the Squadron S-4. It really pissed-off teh Golf Meister
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob, since you're taking request, could you have your guys take the M1 through a Wendy's drive-thru and then smash some shopping carts at a Super K-Mart, I have an idea for a diorama too.

Ummm, M1's making crop circles...

M1's going through a Wendy's Drive-Thru...

I've been bored and hungry lately...

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:26 PM UTC
Wow Ranger...I bet the greenskeeper loved you guys. I bet a tank can make one hell of a divet. LOL
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And the Wendy's in Ayer, Mass gives military discounts too.

"I have an order for 4, separate checks please."

Actually, we have a class going on and next week they have to test drive the tracks after they've replaced the engines.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 12:18 AM UTC
Wow!

I'd love to see pictures of that field! (and the Wendy's! :-) )

Are you going to post them here once done?

And is the bulldozer attachment used for replacing divots?

Andy
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC
Those could be some interesting photos Rob, maybe after Wendy's and the Super Kmart you could cut through backyards on your way back to the base. "Honey...come look! There's a tank smashing my new Webber grille...and they broke your clothes line too!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC
Mmmmm, Wendy's... fooooooood.........
Me hungy. Time to eat. Pizzzzzzaaaaaaa....... ::::drool::::

#:-)

Quoted Text

I've been bored and hungry lately...

Gunnie

Bored? Go see Attack of the Clones!
Hungy? Grab a Snickers. Why wait?

YodaMan
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hey Sabot,

Tanks.......Mass............. I am missing something here. Besides that, this is no fair. I get my a** ripped open for ramming a BMP in a simulator because my gunner couldn't acquire the target and my driver tried to get too close for the sagger to arm! Good God man I need to get off Ft. Benning.

Stephen

Oh yeah, also if anyone needs reference pics of a Mine Roller on an M1A1, I found some old pics from when I was in Korea.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll have my guys run an M1 across the grass adjacent to the airfield next week and take some photos for you. The grass is over waist high. No mine plow though.

Thanks very much! I would like to see the pictures, too! My diorama actually has the mine plow on the ground, deployed, so I guess the grass will be torn apart. However, there's an accompanying M1A2 with no mine plow system attached crossing a different part of the field, so your pictures would be of much value for modelling that one. BTW, the tall grass field I'm doing right now (using Woodland Scenics Field Grass) is around waist high for a 1/35 figure.

Question: would the dog bone roller be heavy enough to 'flatten' the tall grass?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hmmm, M1's making crop circles...

I've been bored lately...

Gunnie

O.K. Rob, now all you do to make crop circles is tie the M1 to a central point with a piece of rope and drive the tank in a circle. Since we all know how quiet the M1really is (wink, wink) you shouldn't have any problem with the local authorities. Now move the pivot point an algebraic distance from the original starting point and repeat the process in a curving arc. Instruct the tank crew to hang off the sides of the vehicle with 'Savannah' brooms to affect the overall look of the swath. Oops, almost forgot, you'll also have to get Air Mobile involved to coordinate from the air so that you don't bugger it all up. Since you'll be doing this at night they'll have to use IR or something to lay it out correctly. Just call in a favour or something.
BTW....don't forget the call the Tabloids when you're done!

Tread.

Also, don't forget to post pics!
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC
Ya know....I come into this thread thinking it being about run-over grass and its effects.........and what do I find...............you guys talking about going to wendys in an abrams and running over a super Kmart!!!!! This happens quite often........I go into a topic expecting one thing and find you guys talking about something totally different. This is one of the reasons I love this site. So unpredictable #:-)

Mark
tazz3
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 11:16 AM UTC
i would would say the tall grass would just bend, but if itsa corn filed the corn stalks would break
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC
And easy way to keep the grass cut by the Motor Pool. Saves a little off the extra duty folks. #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
...........Damn, I didn't know those M1A1's were 'pull-start'!!

Tread.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC
Man - love the humor here! Obviously a few of us have been sniffing the glue fumes just a L-I-T-T-L-E tooo long.... don't forget the ventilation fellas!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 03:22 PM UTC
I'd like to go back to the original post, if you fume sniffers let, me that is.. #:-)

Grass bending or breaking also depends on the type of vehicle and the speed of that vehicle. Each individual vehicle or tank has it's own hight between the surface and the bottom of the vehicle. The faster the speed the more easily the grass just bends in stead of breaking.

that's my 2 cents opinion. I'm curious how you judge this ....

And now......you can go back to snif the glue again.....
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:48 PM UTC
You started my day just right....an M1 through a Wendy's....laughed and laughed.....but the M1 through the field makes me think. Finally, a use for those Tamiya bunnies? Regards JOCK
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally, a use for those Tamiya bunnies? Regards JOCK

heee heee heee

(Using Elmer Fudd voice)

Enemy Waskely Wabbits are believed to be mobilizing against us. Now mount up and we move out in 5 minutes.

Stephen

_GOTOTOP