_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Airbrush Camo-Mask
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
This is a review of J''s Work Airbrush Camo-Mask for the King Tiger, 1/35th, Henschel Turret, Camo Scheme 2, Item #5008

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 01:32 PM UTC
I used the masks for the meng tiger. the material is very similar to Tamiya tape. sticks well, and conforms to small details with burnishing. I did it back to front, as I had already undercoated the tiger in Russian green. it's a good idea, but there were many issues as I found the masks were either too big, or didn't match the references. much cheaper to use silly putty/blue tack/panzer putty in my opinion.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi Brian ... great review ... I have to agree that I'm not sure about this one ..First of all (I will talk about accuracy) it looks nothing like the factory applied camo at least not like any I have seen ... So you could use masking tape and get the same results..
I was the first to say how cool to have stencils to do a BoB KT with the hard edge scheme, but nope ..didn't happen . I guess it'll be silly putty for me (one day)

thanks for the review
Rick
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thanks Matt, Richard.

Hope the hang-overs aren't too bad this morning. LOL.

See ya in the funnies...............
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC
How would you get this stuff to lay over raised details,like track hangers,tools and so forth,those would be a pain to add after painting,this doesn't seem to be real useful unlessvim missing something
AndyMall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 04:07 AM UTC
Have just bought the scheme 1 mask set for the excellent Meng 1/35 FT-17 & regret to say it is garbage. This particular scheme has 3 colours with wavy black demarcation lines between all colours. The whole mask set is way over scale, the shapes are about 30% larger than the model & the black demarcation lines between the colours are about double the thickness seen period photos. At first I thought I had received the 1/16 scale version in error but that comes on 3 sheets, the 1/35 is on 1 sheet as received. The masks are precut in 4 areas on a single sheet but only the largest area for the hull has an orientation arrow, the other areas have no indication of where they go or their orientation. The hull top masks also cover the turret but no allowance for the turret height is made. The instructions do not show what the right side patterns look like at all. The top & left side guide pictures of the instructions do not match where the patterns wrap around the corners & the top view even shows the tracks are camouflaged. In the end I cut the mask set up into wavy freehand strips & applied them based on photos of the real thing. The mask set itself is made of yellow kabuki tape & is reasonably priced. It would have been very useful if it had been designed to fit the intended kit & some care had been put into the instructions.
 _GOTOTOP