Panhard Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:50 PM UTC
From Wikipedia:

The Panhard EBR (Panhard Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance, French: Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle) is an armoured car designed by Panhard for the French Army and later used across the globe, notably by the French Army during the Algerian War and the Portuguese Army during the Portuguese Colonial War in Angola, Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau.

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:52 PM UTC
Some photos of EBR in action:

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:08 PM UTC
The kit is from HobbyBoss and it depicts the FL-11 75mm turreted version of the Panhard EBR.

I particulary like this vehicle with its very low hull profile and the solid cleated metal wheels that can be raised or lowered.

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:16 PM UTC
The kit is fairly nice excluding:

i. microscopic photoetch pieces that is nearly impossible to attach and that can be easily given as plastic molded on.

ii. the centre metallic wheels from soft rubber which should be hard plastic. Hobbyboss inversely tried to depict solid metal wheels with soft rubber

iii. The turret bustle does not have any floor given. I've tried to overcome this and will show later on.

I've assembled this kit at the office during lunch breaks over a period of around 2 months.

Here is the assembled kit:

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:20 PM UTC
I've sacrificed a engine grill mesh left over from an Eduard Merkava 3 photo etch for the turret bustle floor.

I measured the bustle diameter with a caliper, then drew two circles on a piece of paper and put the rectangular mesh over and marked for the radius. Then cut the photo etch mesh with a pair of scissors. By the way I recommend using scissors on photo etch which is much more easy to use and minimal distortion damage when the axacto blades are used.

you can see the bustle floor in this image:

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:21 PM UTC
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've sacrificed a engine grill mesh left over from an Eduard Merkava 3 photo etch for the turret bustle floor.

I measured the bustle diameter with a caliper, then drew two circles on a piece of paper and put the rectangular mesh over and marked for the radius. Then cut the photo etch mesh with a pair of scissors. By the way I recommend using scissors on photo etch which is much more easy to use and minimal distortion damage when the axacto blades are used.

I'm an engineer and used to think that measuring things and making them to the dimensions would work best. It didn't, at least on my models. I was reading a magazine on some home improvement and carpentry work and realized that it is better to match what is there directly ("cut to fit") than through several steps. Something you and others might want to try is covering the bottom with adhesive-backed paper pieces (like a Post-it note) and tracing the shape you want onto it. You can then stick the paper on your sheet and cut out the shape you need. This can really be helpful when the shape isn't quite what we think it is, for example, if the inner and outer radii have different centers.

KL
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit is from HobbyBoss and it depicts the FL-11 75mm turreted version of the Panhard EBR.

Nice build Oykun but the HB kit is the 90mm gun version, the 75mm gun has a double baffle muzzle brake.

Take note that HB made a mistake with the light clusters. The large one on the front right fender should be on the left rear fender. Nothing that hard to fix if you haven't started the paint job.

Concerning the metal wheels, be aware that they are "sided". Look at this picture as reference. By the way, this one is a 75mm gun.

Olivier
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 07:21 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier! I didnt realized this is the 90mm one. It seems the FL11 turret was armed initially with the low velocity 75 and then upgraded to 90mm.

One other thing is there is no co-axial machine gun in the kit. I think it is located inside the bulge at the right hand side of the main gun (looking from the front). Is that right?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobbyboss inversely tried to depict solid metal wheels with soft rubber

I suspect, though I might be wrong, that they have used rubber to allow a simpler mould to depict the deep grousers on the metal tires. Yes, it would have been better to use a slide mould and make the parts from styrene, but I can see an economic reason to make the parts from vinyl. I will probably end up making a mould of my tires and casting them in resin the vinyl being a total pain to try to paint.

I must say I've always liked the French armoured cars of the cold war and later period. The EBR, AML, ERC, VBL, AMX-10 and the VAB are all attractive armoured cars.

Paul
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 06:27 AM UTC
You are probably right Paul. However I would still prefer the wheels from plastic instead of vinyl.

Anyway, I sprayed tamiya's primer from the can.

Here are the results:

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC
Hi Guys;

If I recall, there is a AM company that makes the Wheels in resin. And wasn't it posted on our forum some months ago.
And if I can remember, either Lucky Model or Hobby Easy had them in there inventory. But I think that they were quite expensive, altho really nice. And By the Way; this Armored Car is one of my Favorites, and A Must Have in any collection. And even with there Slight Errors, H.B. did a Fantastic Job on there two versions.

CHEERS; MIKE.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Olivier! I didnt realized this is the 90mm one. It seems the FL11 turret was armed initially with the low velocity 75 and then upgraded to 90mm.

You're right, the EBR was first armed with the 75 mm gun.

Quoted Text

One other thing is there is no co-axial machine gun in the kit. I think it is located inside the bulge at the right hand side of the main gun (looking from the front). Is that right?

You're right again. The co-ax 7.5mm MG is installed left of hte main gun (in the march direction). Here is picture
The early vehicles also had a MG at the drivers station.

There also was a 7.5mm MG mounted on the vehicle commander station. When I can, I post a picture of the one displayed at the Saumur museum.

Olivier
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC
@Mike, I know the AM wheels but I dont want to spend extra money for the kit. So I will probably stick with the vinyl ones from the box.

@Olivier, thank you very much for the information.

By the way, in most of the photos of the vehicle, I see it was painted something like a grey-green color. Do you have any advise on the tamiya equivalents?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
The fresh paint looked like on your first picture. With the weather it faded a bit.
I think XF62 Olive Drab is a good base to start with to depict an "old" vehicle.

Here is my AMX13 VTT in this color.

At home, I have a French magazine with a number of articles dealing with the EBR. When I'm back next week, I'll give it a look and tell you which colors the modelers used.

Olivier
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 07:08 AM UTC
Did I read somewhere that the early Bundeswehr used these? ('Don't mean to be too off topic but does anyone know?)
 _GOTOTOP