_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Site Rules
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
The Junk Drawer has a note stating that it is not for current affairs.

In recent months there have been several posts stating that current affairs were not wanted on this site.

Despite that this morning I find a thread in General Modelling discussing a current political event. I expressed my opinion that this post was innapropriate for General Modelling and that it broke the current affair rule in the Junk Drawer only to find it had been moved to the Junk Drawer - where there are already two other threads on the same subject.

Either we have a no current affair rule or we have open slather. Many of the posts this morning express opinions or attitudes that I find to be highly objectionable.

I would like to see the site rules enforced evenly if this is to be a truly international site. Alternatively, if your intention, Jim, is to cater only for Americans please make that clear and remove me from your membership

Dave

Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi Dave,got to admit,you got a point there pal,but would hate to lose you due to an oversight.
Arthur
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
Dave,
As much as I dislike the fact that I would have to remove so many posts that a clear majority of users obviously want to make, I agree that the no current-events rule should be enforced. Therefore I have removed all the Saddam threads and my apologies to the time members spent crafting them. Of course most were read by the core membership already and you can't really put that genie back in the bottle.

I echo Arthur's comment in that I too would hate to loose you or any other member over something like this. It's not really worth the energy to be very honest. As I have said before it would be silly to think we all agree on anything other than the idea that model making is a great hobby. The world is divided over many things these days and not allowing current events to creep into our community is one way to reinforce our similarities and not our differences. But that said there are still differences. I suggest we all just accept that and/or move on.

Thanks,
Jim

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
Jim,

I appreciate the fact that you make the rules and as creator of the site, I respect that. I don't however, feel it was best to remove these posts alltogether. Maybe lock the thread and say enough.

This was a pretty big event and I think it's only natural that people, and I saw posts from many people with all sorts of flags under their name, would wish to say how they felt.

I didn't read these threads as a political thing. I saw this as much more of a military matter and the praise was for those involved with the mission.

I take offence that Dave makes this into an US vs. THEM issue. What is wrong with people expressing joy at this big news?

If Dave thinks that this site 'caters' to Americans, that is crazy. I think he should look around and see all of the various forums, flags, etc.

If you intend to make this site completely free of politics, I think you need to remove all of the flags, mentions of countries, etc.

I see MANY people with patritoic slogans in their signature line. And these are certainly not all members from the U.S. I have no problems with this and like to see that people are individuals and have opinions.

If this were 1945, would we not at least acknowledge the fact that Hitler was dead or that Japan had surrendered? If it were 1963, would we not acknowledge the death of a president? Would we not share our pleasure at the destruction of the Berlin wall?

99.5% of the posts on this site seem to follow the rules. If I see something off-topic, I don't think too much about it.

I'm sorry that Dave finds it offensive to see mention of an event. He got what he wanted and I think he should now go through the entire site and ask to have removed anything he finds to be 'highly objectionable.'

If being totally unable to express joy at big news is what a 'truly international site' means, I don't see much need for being a part of such a sterile community.

Jim, again, I respect your rules and leadership. You did what you had to. Please don't be upset at me expressing my opinion.

Steve

PS - Any news, good or bad, can be considered Current Events. So when the new rovers land on Mars in January, should we avoid mention of it. After all, it will be an American mission? Yeah, I'm being a bit silly. Just trying to make a point...

KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks Jim.

I note your little dig about the majority of members. Without engaging in a discussion as to what constitutes a mjority I would point out that you still have a post - (is it wot you call a sticky?) - in this Forum reminding members that current affairs - and quote 'Iraq' - are off limits. Rules is rules.

I will happily start posting current affairs, but I am sure my posts will soon be censured or censored if they fail to support a particular viewpoint. I have even had an historically correct reference to Teutonic armour changed by Gunnie to avoid upsetting people.

My argument is if we are to have rules then they must work. When the current affairs debate has arisen in the past a "majority" of members have stated they do not want current affairs. At least one of that majority has posted in the recent thread. That is inconsistent, and highlights a 'do what I say not what I do approach' .

Witchking - it is not the item of news I find objectionable. It is the lynch mob mentality that quickly surfaces whenever these subjects are discussed.

If you read the original posts you will be well aware that Eric from mainland Europe took exception to the posts. He was pretty well dissed by an American post soon after. Clearly one point of view prevails; and that is not in fact democracy no matter how much you dress up the majority thing.

There is also a strong school of thought that supports the concept of a silent majority. With only about 10% of the membership contributing to forums who is to say what opinions are out there.

I have already chosen to ignore many posts that I consider inappropriate or just plain stupid. But when there are firm site rules then let us see those rules enforced. That way there is no possibility of anyone being upset and we can all concentrate on the similarities as you suggest Jim.

Regards Dave
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi, Agreed. If you let something on that is charged with politcal controversy then you must expect politcal controversy in return. We are all different, and thusly will see every event, both at home and throughout the world, differently as well. This is just the way of things.

You do what you feel right and it's all right by me.

Take care, sgrity
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that tidbit of news caters to the interests of more than just Americans. It is unfortunate that discussion of said event is impossible because a few people find the comments as objectionable, but alas the no current events clause is the rule and must be abided by

Amen
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC
Could we stop this bikering? Please?

Dave, I agree with you. The rules state that current events are not to be topics. I must also note that almost all of the European and non-American members of this site are mighty tolerant of us Americans when we go posting about political events and what have you.

However... I do not feel today's posting were out-of line. Weather you believe it or not, to us citizens of the United States of America, and no doubt many others, the individual that was captured today was of high importance. And considering the military nature of this site, it could be expected that thier enthusiasm would result in the creations of a few threads.

Lets not make this one day a reason for divison within the site....

YM
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

Last couple of months I feel like we grew into a group of old women ....yada yada yada......

I've got a new model..... post numer 1....
3 posts down the thread we already have some political or current affairs rant at our hands..... Just look at the posts prior to this one.....

Gentlemen...,

do we really have so much spare time...do we really have "practicing politics" as a second hobby..... do we really want te start an argue over every word that was written down, do we really feel such a giant need to express our feelings over the news in the world........ ?

This will be the last time I'm gonna say this, you will not hear me about this matter from here on :....this is a modeling site...when you want to talk politics or whatever....find such a forum and join in..... I wanna know how to paint a Denison Smock and ON THIS SITE I don't give ..it about politics. Sure I have an opinion, sure I have a thought about what's right and what's wrong, but when I come over here, I want to learn how to paint or model something.

So could we now please go back to my Denison Smock or whatever modeling related subject....... Please stop this yada yada yada !!

== E A G L E - O U T ==
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
Those who feel like waving their flags - whatever its colors - have plenty of other websites to enjoy.
Let's not have a replay of the "current events" story.

Thank you for reminding us, Jim.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
Can anyone here tell me the best way to bend photo-etch?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone here tell me the best way to bend photo-etch?

LOL ! I just about to move your post to the Scratchbuilding forum...

Your question probably says it better than our ranting. Wisdom...

Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:55 AM UTC
Jan is right!
Although I posted too, ventilating my thoughts at that moment, I agree on the fact that this is a modeling site and that it's suposed to be about models and nothing else...
I can however imagine that sometimes things like this happen because of the time some of us are spending on this site and their connection with the site and other members. When something happens you want to tell your friends as soon as possible, don't you?

Anyway, keep in the rule of non-political/current events and we'll all be fine...

Let's go modeling
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
One of the reasons I visit the site so often is to escape the news and enjoy being with others who are here to enjoy the hobby...Thanks Jim for reminding us all about current events. Nuf Said.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those who feel like waving their flags - whatever its colors - have plenty of other websites to enjoy.

I agree.

As far as flag waving, why not remove any mention of one's country from this site? What is the point? Why have country flags under our usernames?

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:15 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

To let peopl where in the world we are located. A sa matter of interest. I still find it amazing to be able to hold a discussion with someone from the other side of the plannet whom I've never seen and likely never will. The flag need asy no more than I'm from this pplace or that.

Quoted Text

I agree.

As far as flag waving, why not remove any mention of one's country from this site? What is the point? Why have country flags under our usernames?

_GOTOTOP