_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Tauchpanzer III Ausf G
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 06:00 PM UTC
Bart Campbell takes a look at the Pz.Kpfw.III (5cm) (T) Ausf.G from Dragon Models and shares his observation with us.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:48 AM UTC
Great review Bart... All these Panzer lll kits are great , I'm still waiting for the Desert G to come out.. I understand the track problem and I too think it would be great to have the choice in the box of which type to use or at least if we could buy them separately (cheap) .

Good job !
Rick
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 11:46 AM UTC
Great review! I agree with Rick; the Panzer II kits are easy to build and really well done.
Grenadar
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 01:09 PM UTC
While I would really welcome a Tauchpanzer III, this won't be the one for me. I will not buy another Dragon Panzer that doesn't include Magic Tracks. I absolutely LOVE those tracks and I just can't bring myself to encourage them in their switch to the DS rubber bands by buying their latest kits. I think the DS tracks are fine for US armor, but not for Soviet or German.

That being said, I am also disappointed that this kit doesn't include the "disposable" diving equipment that would have been needed for submerged river crossings (like the Bug during the invasion). I realize the frames are there around the mantlet and bow MG as well as the inflatable ring around the base of the turret, so one can build a post-invasion vehicle, but the fabric covers for the guns and cupola and the breathing tube for the turret do not seem to be included.

Perhaps they are just providing an opening for the aftermarket folks (like their M48A3 without the fabric pieces and searchlight), but I think it's just as likely that they'll eventually come out with a Premium edition Ausf G or maybe an Ausf H that has everything. I've got 3 different Ausf N kits in my stash next to my 3 Stug IIIG and 4 Panzer IVE kits. I've finally learned to wait for exactly what I want from Dragon. That has me waiting for the Afrika Korps Panzer IIIG as well as a Panther A with Zimmerit. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the excellent review. I was wondering what was in the box since their assembled kit photos are missing some of the parts.
 _GOTOTOP