_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
still without name....
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 10:15 PM UTC

Begining of new little dio. Plan : 4 falshirmjagers (dragon monte cassino set) and Tamyia 7.5 Cm Anti-Tank Gun(Pak40/L46) with crew in ruins....

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
Nice start for sure!
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hi Robert!

I agree with Jerry. The beginning looks promising.
Should the ruin be Monastery, you should not portray material coated with a smooth surface.
The monastery was a real antique building, made of real stone slabs cut and sculpted, no make-up!

But should you depict a house in the town of Cassino, well then everything is possible of course!

Good luck!!

Cheers

Romain
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC
another version ...

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC

If I were you I'd leave out those columns! They do not fit at all (wrong style).

Squeeze all the info you can out of the web!!

Cheers

Romain

Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:14 AM UTC
it would be easier to title this work "green devils - Italy 1944"
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
very cool scenes what scale is this 1/35 or 1/72
gehrig38
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC
For a name, I like "Knock Knock" if you are using the doorway as they firing position
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

very cool scenes what scale is this 1/35 or 1/72

it's 1/35
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC
Architectural accuracy aside(maybe not Monte Cassino but I think it could be Italy), this is progress so far...

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
Questionable position for a gun but very very nice masonry work! Good lookin rubble as well.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 04:53 AM UTC

At first glance it looks good, but there are several weak points unfortunately.
The "worst" is the total lack of rubble in the middle. While this is very nice if you want to position a gun, it is not logical at all!
Second is the "red stuff" in the hind upper part of the ruin.
There are only 2 ways a building could have this look: one, it is made entirely of cut stone slabs. Then there are no bricks!
Or else, it is a brickwork covered by thin sand stone "tiles" faking a more expensive building. Then you should see bricks all over, also on the broken sides and even to the front as these tiles tend to fall off when hit.

Cheers

Romain
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Thanks for Your observation Romain, Your knowledge about architecture is admirable but I'm not aiming to recreate any particular building, in fact all setup is pure imagination. Regarding to rubble in middle portion You are right and I will put it there of course. Brick portion of ruin, maybe is not accurate but I have seen pictures of buildings done in that manner... After all that is my first attempt of building a ruin and I'm ok how it's going on.
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:49 PM UTC
groundwork still unfinished... started with figures..

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hi Robert,
Some points, if you allow:
1. You made a Roman style gate with Greek Dorian style post in front of it. If you google " Italian style building" , you may find some help to get things in a better optical fit.
2. If paratroopers hold hand grenades in their hand, they are about to use them. Either in an attack, or, more likely in an Italian setting, defence. In both cases there is a close combat situation. For an AT gun crew not the best setting! They would have been overruled by the situation, changing over to infantery tactics and thus NOT using the AT gun since the ammunition does not show any effect at the distances where hand grenades are used. Or they work their butts off to recover a high valuable piece of equipment from a situation where it is possibly destroyed by the attackers! That situation would give you an excellent situation to show desperate soldiers, dragging backwards their AT gun.
3. What is the guy in the blue (Police? Bundesbahn?) uniform doing in this scene?

No bad intentions! Looking forward to see you dio develop!

Thanks for showing it to us!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:37 AM UTC
I love that Tamiya Pak 40 kit lol. I bought like 6 of them so far.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:43 AM UTC
hi Robert,

Nice dio you are making !
I love the building and the composition. I think Paul remarks are valuable. You maight want to suggest the Pak is destroyed. You could also add more figure next to the pak, why not inpesting the damages made to the pak, assessing if it could be used again.
Keep up the good work
Julien
Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:11 AM UTC
My friend thanks for tips and questions.
First, as I pointed before, this is no actual ruin, build upon any photo, columns in front by my opinion are not wrong because there are many like this on photos (see links below) from Italy. They need some work on them , cut and join together smaller portions.

http://architecture.about.com/od/buildingparts/g/composite-column.htm
http://www.ancient.eu.com/image/948/
http://www.colourbox.com/image/ruins-of-ancient-roman-columns-in-pompeii-italy-image-1483284

Second; Soldier in blue is wearing luftwaffe blouse , he is not policeman
Third; I'm waiting for new(old) set dragon anzio fallschirms with pak40 and not jet sure what will end look alike here. First I was thinking just to put crew behind pak in firing positions then I think they could be buried under rubble...
Now, Paul's hint on hand grenade made me rethinking situation.... Look's like I'm on crossroad and could go any direction now....
thanks again, Paul especially for nice observation

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My friend thanks for tips and questions.
First, as I pointed before, this is no actual ruin, build upon any photo, columns in front by my opinion are not wrong because there are many like this on photos (see links below) from Italy. They need some work on them , cut and join together smaller portions.

http://architecture.about.com/od/buildingparts/g/composite-column.htm
http://www.ancient.eu.com/image/948/
http://www.colourbox.com/image/ruins-of-ancient-roman-columns-in-pompeii-italy-image-1483284

Hi Robert,

it is your dio, that's a fact, but the links you provided don't show any post-classical building with columns. That's a fact too!
Columns in the excavated city of Pompeji cannot be an argument here! This is a comment regarding the academic use of sources and materials!

I understand you are not interested in getting the scene right from the architectural point of view, so I won't continue!

The Pak/handgrenade dilemma however is a logical one!!

Please don't put any Luftwaffe uniforms into this chaos. These uniforms would not fit this situation. Beside plane crews, they were worn by territorial flak units, but certainly not by "Luftwaffe infantry" in Italy.

Sorry for the comments, but we truly are only trying to help!!

Cheers

Romain

Robert110
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
No hard feelings Romain

Link's I have provided shows only column types not combination of building and columns... so in my imagination I have combined those two things. Regarding luftwaffe blouse check Squadron Signal - Combat Troops - Fallschirmjagers, there is picture from Narvik campaign with oberleutnant in that combination... After all discussion about what they were wearing under jump-smocks is pointless. From my war experience I could tell that everything is possible ... may be not when you are at barracks but on front line I have seen lots of different combinations.. And, that figure is in proper luftwaffe blouse (commendable) not in civilian jacket (so improper for german soldier) ..
Don't be sorry for comments , they are welcome ... from critics You can learn something if you are open minded
 _GOTOTOP