_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MENG 1/35 D9R
stratox
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
With the new year comes more time, and with more time comes some progress on the D9R. With all of the major components assembled, painted and attached I finally started the weathering. These bulldozers are used currently in Iraq and Afghanistan with the USA and the USMC so a dusty appearance is needed.

Details are with Vallejo paints and AK Interactive washes applied on the model. MIG pigments Iraqi Sand and Light Dust were mixed up and applied with white spirits and fixer. As with pigments I always take my time. It's very easy to go too far.

Tracks were airbrushed a rusty brown mix with Tamiya paints. A brown was applied and pigments applied. Then a rub with a graphite bar. With all of the craziness of building a model I have misplaced one of the hydraulic rams that controls the lateral angel of the blade. With one or two more things to finish up I think I'll be finished up by the weekend.

Full set of images.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJ7ZTHG
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
that looks fantastic Clarke
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 12:29 PM UTC
Very Nice Dozer I wish my one turned out as nice as yours I like how you haven't gone crazy with chipping, rust and I like that it has the Apearance that its not serving in an appocolypse scenario Very well Done Cheers Ben.
stratox
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very Nice Dozer I wish my one turned out as nice as yours I like how you haven't gone crazy with chipping, rust and I like that it has the Apearance that its not serving in an appocolypse scenario Very well Done Cheers Ben.

I had repainted this D9 a few times. Five or more to be exact. I just was getting too much chipping slash removal of paint on the upper and lower hull. After really studying some D9s in service with the USA, I found out more is less.

I saw some D9's in service that were just beat to hell and then beaten some more. While others were either not used much or taken care of well.

P.S. If anyone has any pics up close of the chain/towing cable used with dozers in US service please send some images this way. I saw one with a large one wrapped around the ripper and one large on the roof. Thanks.

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP