_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
To Zimmerit, or not to Zimmerit?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
I just bought Tamiya's King Tiger and it is a beauty. I have a question though regarding whether it should have a zimmerit application or not. I want to make tank number 204 of the 501st heavy tank battalion as it appeared during the Battle of the Bulge. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Nic
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC
I have the book Patton and the Battle of the Bulge and there are picites of Tiger II's in it, and of the 4 pictures none have Zimmerit. My impression is that most of the tanks depoloyed to the western front did not have Zimmerit as the threat of suicidal mines was seem as less.. May be wrong, but I don;t think you should Zimmerit.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:06 PM UTC
Comando,

Here's something to read about it. Hope it can help you.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/german/tam35252.htm

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tigers-02.htm

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the help. I probably won't use zimmerit (what a shame, I was looking so forward to it).
From information on your second link, Eagle, it doesn't seem as though sPzAbt 501 even took part in the Ardennes offensive, but Tamiya says it did. Three of the four King Tigers in the kit are supposed to be from this battalion. I'll have to do more research.

Nic
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
Well, that didn't take too long. On another site, www.panzer-vi.fsnet.co.uk/units.html, it said that sPzAbt 501 did indeed fight in the Ardennes, so I think I will do the tank I mentioned before without zimmerit.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP