_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
AM WWII German Stencils?
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 01:23 PM UTC
I'm interested in buying Alliance Model's WWII German stencils for turret numbers and markings. I see how the stencils work on a flat surface, but don't know how they might work on a non-flat surface (e.g.,Zimmerit). Any thoughts?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm interested in buying Alliance Model's WWII German stencils for turret numbers and markings. I see how the stencils work on a flat surface, but don't know how they might work on a non-flat surface (e.g.,Zimmerit). Any thoughts?

You could use the rigid stencils to make another stencil from say paper or newspaper and use those to apply the markings , that's how we did it when I was in the military use paper or cardboard stencils tape them to the equipment and either use a brush or spray the paint on .
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 02:32 PM UTC
I should think that with the normal stencils you should be fine, there may be a tiny bit of overspray depending on where the edge of the stencil met with the raised lines of the zimmerit.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 11:08 AM UTC
Chris-K;

I usually use those stainless-steel stencils whenever I have the right type for the build. Uneven surfaces are generally not a problem - just mask around the stencil to avoid over-spray issues, and keep the AB back a bit from the stencil and air pressure low and point the AB straight at the stencil so that you do not get angled spray and bleed under that stencil.

This is a stencil number done on a Tamiya Pz II turret - I was particularly interested in getting accurate coverage across a multi-level complex surface.

Hope this helps with your question!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP