_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Correct scale
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
Ok, who has the correct scale for Russian WW 2 Armor?
Trumpeter, Tamiya, Bronco , Dragon etc......
Can anyone put them in order for me?
Notice this picture, a Tiger 1 next to a KV-1 ? Wow, that KV is massive.
By what I have built, I would say Trumpeter? That lower chasis is used on a lot different Russian variants. KV-85 , KV-122 etc...
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC
I'm not sure I understand your question. All the model companies do their models in 1/35th scale. Even 'bad' scale models, like some old Tamiya kits from the 1970's are still close enough that you're talking, at most, a few cm, off.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you meaqn by "correct scale". All of them have kits in 1/35 scale and 1/72 scale. "Correctness" is a matter of taste.

Are you asking which is more accurate in whatever scale thay are advertised to be? If so, it would be on a kit by kit basis. I have not seen any iondication that any company's kits are uniformly dimensionally accurate or inaccurate.

Paul

Paul
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 04:50 AM UTC
Most recent releases (of the last 10 - 15 yrs) by most of the above-mentioned manufacturers can be considered fairly accurate. Unless you get out the micrometer and microscope! But then, we're not all 'rivet-counters', or 'millimeter-counters'.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What do you meaqn by "correct scale". All of them have kits in 1/35 scale and 1/72 scale. "Correctness" is a matter of taste.

Are you asking which is more accurate in whatever scale thay are advertised to be? If so, it would be on a kit by kit basis. I have not seen any iondication that any company's kits are uniformly dimensionally accurate or inaccurate.

Paul

Paul

I have a Dragon ISU -122 , Tamiya ISU 152 both same chasis, one is smaller then the other. Trumpeter KV 122 is smaller then the Dragon version...etc......understand? Who manufactures the correct scale?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most recent releases (of the last 10 - 15 yrs) by most of the above-mentioned manufacturers can be considered fairly accurate. Unless you get out the micrometer and microscope! But then, we're not all 'rivet-counters', or 'millimeter-counters'.

Don't roll your eye's at me Mr.Biggles!!! lol
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:56 AM UTC
Neil Stokes's site should give you the reply you want as to the accuracy of various kits available.

http://www.4bogreen.com/
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC
Seems a bit odd as a general question, but...

But a valid concern, ne're the less, given some bloopers made by manufacturers! However, the question of being "correct to scale" is not actually wholly separable from questions of dimensional and other accuracy...

It is, I think, really a kit-by-kit evaluation. Probably, as stated by others, no kit maker actually really flubs the scale across its line-up - but many - maybe all - flub one or another kit in awesome ways. Consider the gross dimensional/proportion and size issues which have emerged around the recent RSO kits produced by Dragon (you know - the Big D; Big maker, very well-known, hugely respected, often touted as the general industry "standard-setter" for many years...). One can interpret the wrongly-proportioned RSO as being either the "wrong size for the scale" (The cargo bed is, for example, perhaps only 80% as wide as it should be... so it could be perhaps a 1/48 RSO bed, in width!) or "it's the right size for the scale (the RSO bed is, I believe, long enough to be a 1/35 scale bed), but way off in proportion" (thus, way too narrow, a fundamental "proportional accuracy question"). D blew that RSO. But this should not, I think, call into question much about the rest of D's huge line-up. Each kit has its own ups and downs.

Bob
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Trumpeter KV 122 is smaller then the Dragon version...etc......understand? Who manufactures the correct scale?

Dragon doesn't make a KV 122 or any other KVs for that matter, so you can see one of the impediments to understanding . . .

KL
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a Dragon ISU -122 , Tamiya ISU 152 both same chasis, one is smaller then the other. Trumpeter KV 122 is smaller then the Dragon version...etc......understand? Who manufactures the correct scale?

I understand your question (I think), but you are mis-stating it. It is both too general and incorrectly put.

The question you are asking is "who makes the most dimensionally accurate Soviet tank kits in 1/35 scale."

As I and others have said, no one company always makes more accurate kits than the others. You have to evaluate them on a kit by kit basis. If you are wondering if the Trumpter KV 122 is dimensionally accurate, you should probalby ask Neil Stokes as was suggested as he is a font of knowledge on WW II Soviet vehicles, as is Steve Zaloga. If you post a specific accuracy question over on the Allied forum on Missing Links, Neil or even Steve might chime in with a response.

But try to be specific and try to pose the question properly so anyone who can contriubute to the answer can understand what you are asking. I'm sorry if I'm being pedantic about this, but unless the question is stated clearly, one can hardly expect proper answers.

Paul
rockmart
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 03:48 PM UTC
David,

The tank in the picture is a KV-1S. Right now only two kits exist in 1/35. Eastern Express made a kit which is also sold by ARK. It is a pretty poorly detailed kit which appears a bit off dimensionally (being undersized). Trumpeter makes fairly well detailed kits of the KV series, but according to Mister Neil their KV-1S, KV-85, KV-122, and SU-152 have a section of the hull top that is 5mm short. Also their tracks are 1.5mm too wide.

The KV-85, KV-122 both have a turret that is from the IS-2 and is incorrect. The SU-152 has problems with its main gun.

As said by Alan check out Neil Stokes site.
 _GOTOTOP