_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Clear coat hazing
smeosky
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hey all, I have been progressing on my panther A here with my new Iwata Hp-CS and getting ready for the filter process. I am sealing the gloss coat up after a few washes with model master flat clear coat. This is some pretty aggressive stuff, I found I needed to think it a bit as I was afraid it would be too strong out of the bottle. Thinning with isoprpyl alcohol almost to a 50/50 ratio I laid a few coats down and found that I slightly over did it on the top portion of the turret. Its slightly hazy now on the top surfaces.

Its not totally apparent in the photo but it gets the point across. Its also mostly noticeable on the camo colors. It also may be my ocd coming through but im worried it may be too noticeable. My question is would this slight whitening effect be negated after a few filters? Or would it be worthwhile to go back over the camo stripes again by spraying more green and red? Any advice or should I just chill out and proceed as normal? Thanks, everyone!
Steve
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
This is a common issue, when dealing with MM clear flat lacquer. I am assuming, however, that you used the acrylic per isopropyl. If you attempted to thin the lacquer with it, there lies the problem. If you plan on weathering it, just add a filter or two. This should cover the hazing problem. I would recommend using either PollyS or Tamiya flat clear, in the future. If you want something less aggressive, Tamiya acryl is the way to go.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
Spraying a gloss coat over it will remove the haze. Then you can attempt the flat coat again.

Which flat coat did you attempt to use?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

IP will only thin MM Acryl Flat but if you are using

MM Lacquer based flat...it won't work.

Maybe that is the problem.

Which are you using?

Cheers,
Joe
PlasticGeezer
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 10:59 AM UTC
Like Jesse said, another clear coat. It usually works for me. I sometimes have the same problem. For me, humidity is the culprit.
smeosky
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC
Dang. sorry, forgot the specifics. This was my first time using MM Acryl flat coat. You can see how milky it is in the bottle so thats what kind of scared me into thinning it down a little. Ive used the tamiya equivalent but never got the science of the mixing ratios down with it. It seems theres a sweet spot where its too glossy or too flat. I need practice with both. I may try adding the clear gloss coat over it again. Very helpful bit of advice there. Thanks for the help so far, guys.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC
I've found with a number of various flat coats in the past. My current go-to is the Vallejo product. It's really the ONLY Vallejo "paint" I spray, but it's more consistent and easier to work with than the others IMO.

You can cut it with water and if it hazes, add a few drops of Future and you can really work between total flat and a semi-gloss look.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Spraying a gloss coat over it will remove the haze. Then you can attempt the flat coat again.

Which flat coat did you attempt to use?

This is correct, it is how clearcoats are repaired in automotive applications. This will allow you to start fresh.
 _GOTOTOP