_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
quiet cheap airbrush compressor?
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:13 PM UTC
i am looking for a quiet and cheap airbrush compressor. the one i used to have was expensive and loud and generally not very good. i am looking for mostly a very inexpensive, but also quiet because i live in an apartment and my neighbor is a real creep and complains about any tiny sound, including my management supplied ac unit. i already have a nice paasche airbrush if that matters?? i dont know a lot about airbrushing
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:15 PM UTC
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#q=cheap+quiet+airbrush+compressor

Mike
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:33 PM UTC
What about going with an air tank? Dead quiet and only need to refil once a month or so. Might be the way to go and could be a lot cheaper.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What about going with an air tank? Dead quiet and only need to refil once a month or so. Might be the way to go and could be a lot cheaper.

Still end up needing a compressor to fill the air tank, unless you want to pay to do that.
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:47 PM UTC
do you think this air tank will work?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-Gal-Portable-Air-Tank-CT10H/202528456#

i dont live far from gas station where they have an air pump. i like the idea of air tank since it is completely silent
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:11 PM UTC
I don't see why not, take it to your local gas station and fill Er up. Or you get the soda type CO2 tanks from your local air gas company and they can recharge for you for a small fee.
Major_Steuben
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 04:56 PM UTC
I used a 5-gal air tank with great success to power my air brush.

Just be sure to put a water trap on the outlet. It is cheap enough to have two tanks, one as a back up. I got my done for less than $50 (USD) about 10 years ago.

Large box home improvement retailers or tool specialty places are a good place to find parts.

Just remove the hose and install a quick disconnect fitting to the out let side of the water trap a short piece of pipe connects the trap to the tank. make a fitting for your AB hose and you are ready to go.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:26 PM UTC
Badger use to sell adapters that would go on to the stem of a spare tire but you still need a pressure regulator no matter what . Never used it but I figure you could go for the largest tire and rim setup you could carry to the apartment . But as somebody said you still will need a compressor to pump up the tire or have to visit the gas station for a refill . Or maybe use a hand bicycle pump ?
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 08:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Badger use to sell adapters that would go on to the stem of a spare tire but you still need a pressure regulator no matter what . Never used it but I figure you could go for the largest tire and rim setup you could carry to the apartment . But as somebody said you still will need a compressor to pump up the tire or have to visit the gas station for a refill . Or maybe use a hand bicycle pump ?

I remember that tool being brought up in another thread. Everyone wanted to know what you were supposed to do with your flat car tires.
iguanac
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 10:43 PM UTC
I have a home made one.It was around 150EUR or less. It was made from old refrigerator engine (wind a second hand one), gas bottle from fire extinguisher, then an item i don't know the correct word in English - that sets the pressure in the gas bottle, few vents, hoe, and that's mostly it.
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,2595.0.html
this is in Serbian (you should log on probably), but you get the picture.
Refrigerator engines are good as they are quiet. i don't have any problems with my neighbors.
Best regards,
Marko
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:13 AM UTC
Isn't the pressure, when you get to the end , inconsistent in a air tank? Try Bear Air for inexpensive compressors,I have a polar air twin piston I like a lot, their pretty quiet. Or tell your neighbor to deal with it!!!
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:13 AM UTC
this should work correct?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Black-Air-Compressor-Regulator-with-Gauge-HDA70900AV/100082550#
Major_Steuben
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
Yes that should work, I forgot to mention the regulator was integral to the water trap/filter.
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC
is the pressure gauge that comes with the tank pressure in the tank or pressure of the air coming out?
dogstar
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:34 AM UTC
I would suggest a CO2 tank, 5lb should be plenty but if you really want yo save money you could even use a 20oz paintball cylinder ($20) and a jacpac or Lowes portable air regulator ($20-70).
I currently use a jacpac and 20oz paintball tank and I can get about 15 sessions/layers on a 1/35 tank per fill, filling is around $6-10.

Cheap, consistent and SILENT.
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:58 AM UTC
i found this
http://www.tcpglobal.com/AirbrushDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=ABD+TFR-2000-B&gclid=CMP6mdvkg7wCFSUOOgodO1AAKg

with pressure regulator and water trap. how would i attach the hose to this? or is this one not worth getting
 _GOTOTOP