_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Questions about better ways to detail
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:20 PM UTC
I am building tamiyas M2 Bradley right noe. As with many other armor kits, there are the view ports. I need a better way paint them, can anyone tell me how? currently, when I do it the edges get all messed up and ugly.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:30 PM UTC
Brush on by hand Tamiya flat black then cover with Tamiya smoke. Use a small brush with a fine tip. Also you can get some Frog tape and mask the area off if you do not have a steady hand.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 01:59 PM UTC
Another guy with less than perfect fine-painting skills suffering the "view-port painting blues"! Join my club, friend!

I have found that I get better edges and frames around view-ports and such by doing the "glass" first, and then painting up to that boundary (the molded rim, etc.) with my adjacent hull color(s) with a tiny brush - even sometimes using a nearly-dry brush to get small amounts of paint onto those frame-rims. Seems easier to do than trying to neatly fill in the central void ("glass").

Somehow, I long seemed to like doing the port glass "last" after spraying body coats and camo... But I eventually have trained myself to (usually) do the "glass" before the hull-paint, and mask the actual port with a piece of tape for painting the hull around it. It's that, or get in with the hull-color as above as a touch-up to clean up lines and such!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP