_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya and Vallejo Acrylic Compatible?
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hey guys. I'm planning to paint by hand a 1:35 Panther ausf. F. In the past, I have used Tamiya Acrylics to mixed effect in hand brushing. I have heard that Vallejo Acrylics are apparently superior in handbrushing (while tamiya is better in aibrushing) so I want to make use of it in my project.

Right now, I have a bottle of Tamiya Dark Yellow that I plan to use as a basecoat for my tank. Then, I plan to buy a bottle of Olive-Green and maybe Red-Brown vallejo acrylic and use that to create the german camo pattern on my tanks. My problem is - are there any problems in using both paints in different coats on top of each other? I have read somewhere that there are compatibility issues with tamiya and vallejo due to the solvent they are based on. Thank you for your answers
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:47 AM UTC
I did it a few years ago on a 1/48 Stug,basecoat was Tamiya DY airbrushed,then I handbrushed Vallejo Model Color camo over it with no problems.

See the stug on page 2 of my photos
B_Ernie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC
I've had issues painting Tamiya on top of Vallejo, and used those issues to create a worn/weathered paint effect, I would do a test on some scrap styrene first if I were you.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC
Nigel,

FWIW, and while not quite what you are asking, just yesterday I while airbrushing I thinned Tamiya with Lifecolor Thinner, then I even lightened the Tamiya with Vallejo. It both mixed and sprayed with no problem. Now, 24 hours later, no crazing or other problems with the dried paint, and it is not rubbing off when handled.

The day before I brushed Tamiya thinned with Lifecolor Thinner. No problem.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Vallejo over Tamiya works fine. The other way round can be problematic. The Model Color line of paints does not "bite" as good as Tamiya. A well cleaned and preferably primed model is the minimum for MA to hold decently.
Bowman18
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
I have hand painted tamiya paints (Most recently on a panzer 2) and I found that if I let the paint separate from the oil I can just scoop out a small portion of the paint and add water to it which allows me to give the model several thin coats of paint which build up into a good colour. I find that following the direction of the panels etc works best. (I end up hand brushing the base coat because my airbrush has packed up at the minute)

However I must agree that tamiya is best airbrushed because it is a nightmare at times if the paint isn't separated and vallejo is much easier to hand brush for the camo etc
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thank you all for the enlightening answers
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 04:34 AM UTC
As long as your previous layer of paint is fully cured, then you can put anything over anything.

Notice I said "cured" not just dry, but cured.

No problem thinning Vallejo for airbrushing either, grab their AB thinner, for Model Color paints, 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint, for their Model Air paints, 1 part thinner to 5 parts paint. Right as rain.

Of course your surfaces has to be properly prepared as well, parts washed well to get the mold release off, and primed. Vallejo primer is great as well!
lon240
Visit this Community
Guam
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:47 PM UTC
I was wondering, how long does it usually take Tamiya to fully cure?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did it a few years ago on a 1/48 Stug,basecoat was Tamiya DY airbrushed,then I handbrushed Vallejo Model Color camo over it with no problems.

Nice pix Anthony!! That's what I like , user's adding their work to the photo section!! Very nice work!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nice pix Anthony!! That's what I like , user's adding their work to the photo section!! Very nice work!

Thanks for the look and the comments David
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering, how long does it usually take Tamiya to fully cure?

24hrs and you should be good. Depends on your weather, IE: hot and dry, it is going to cure faster, more humid air, and it is going to be slower, but 24hrs is a good average.
 _GOTOTOP