_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T55 suspension
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
I am more au fait with WWII German armour but am getting sucked into the Red side!

I have a pair of Tamiya T55s on the bench, one original and the Enigma. I have been mulling over doing one in "exploded" format and as such have been looking for some decent photos.

I have found lots of brilliant walkarounds of both the exterior and interior, but I am drawing a blank on decent drawings / photos of the suspension, both internally and externally. There will definitely be some wheels missing and the damage may well expose the torsion bars, so I would love to find something that can help.

If you do know of any blueprints (ideally) or photos that would help, please let me know!
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hopefully this T-55AM2B I took at Munster will be of help to your project. Unfortunately when I took the pictures I was concerned with all the detail except the suspension. There should be more walkarounds of this tank online, I'll keep an eye out for better suspension pics.

Erik

seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC
http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?mode=P&vmode=T&p=1762&id=68052&tp=w

t-62 manual excerpts, as far as I know the suspensions are basically the same. Also, if you click on "authors other work"
at the top of the page it will take you to other manuals he has posted including dimensioned components in the T-54 manual. It's funny that the vehicle Erik posted photos of above was what immediatly came to mind but it seems that other than the single exposed rocker arm it's not particularly usefull.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/Anti_Tank_Company_of_Marines_in_Op_Desert_Storm/aaw

also found this, again, looks like t-62 based on the size of the turret overhang bulges. now that would be an impressive project!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi Noel;

Try Looking at Info on the Gulf War and you should find plenty of pics, of T-55s Brewed Up.
The main thing too look for is the Suspension and road wheels, the suspension would Collapse and all of the Rubber will be Burnt off the road wheeks. Now Depending on the Level of Details that you are trying too depict, or how much you are willing too go. On a Vehicle that has had a Extensive Fire then the Hull will almost be sitting on the Ground. On Vehicles such as A T-72 Even the road wheels will Melt from the Intense Heat.
GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 08:57 AM UTC
I have over 100 pics of the T-55AM at the museum in Borden, Ontario, Canada.

Let me know if your interested.

cheers
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully this T-55AM2B I took at Munster will be of help to your project. Unfortunately when I took the pictures I was concerned with all the detail except the suspension. There should be more walkarounds of this tank online, I'll keep an eye out for better suspension pics.

Erik

That looks like a wonderful tank to visit Erik. Any closeups you can find would be most appreciated!
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?mode=P&vmode=T&p=1762&id=68052&tp=w

t-62 manual excerpts, as far as I know the suspensions are basically the same. Also, if you click on "authors other work"
at the top of the page it will take you to other manuals he has posted including dimensioned components in the T-54 manual.

Very helpful indeed... I am beginning to get the idea. I always spend far too much time working out how things worked rather than just modelling them!

Quoted Text

://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/Anti_Tank_Company_of_Marines_in_Op_Desert_Storm/aaw

also found this, again, looks like t-62 based on the size of the turret overhang bulges. now that would be an impressive project!

Awesome photo! When I say "exploded" it never occured to me to go that far!
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try Looking at Info on the Gulf War and you should find plenty of pics, of T-55s Brewed Up.
The main thing too look for is the Suspension and road wheels, the suspension would Collapse and all of the Rubber will be Burnt off the road wheeks. Now Depending on the Level of Details that you are trying too depict, or how much you are willing too go. On a Vehicle that has had a Extensive Fire then the Hull will almost be sitting on the Ground. On Vehicles such as A T-72 Even the road wheels will Melt from the Intense Heat.
GOOD LUCK; MIKE.

Thanks for the ideas Mike... I am getting one of the Mig Production Burnt wheel kits.

Just need to find their fuel-lines kit but am having no luck on that front.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Noel;
Have you tried Hannets, if they don't have it they should be willing too order it for you !
And for the Fuel Lines, I would try and get the Legends set. IMHO its Better Detailed than the Mig set.
If your Willing, you can go back and find the Blog that was on our site some time ago. It shows a Diagram of the Fuel lines that you could use too Scratch Build it yourself.
GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC
Thanks for your advice Mike. Have ordered the Legend fuel set... could not find the Mig one anywhere anyway.
 _GOTOTOP