_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
new 6x6 self-propelled howitzer
repynot
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC
Who will be the first to come with this...
http://www.armyrecognition.com/january_2014_global_defense_security_news_industry/russia_develops_a_new_6x6_self-propelled_howitzer_based_on_volk_armoured_and_2b16_120mm_gun_2001147.html
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 03:41 AM UTC
I reckon that is the sort of thing Trumpeter would drop on the market, without even telling us it's coming.
Second up will be Hobby Boss.

Paul
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC
Its kind of a prototype, I see a 99% chance that it will never be fielded.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi;

I can see one of the AM Companies giving this a Shot using the Tiger as the Doner kit.-----Maybe !
But now Days it could be anybody, like Paul has already said Trumpeter, H.B.,! But I Don't think it will be anytime soon. It Is Interesting !!!
CHEERS; MIKE.

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:48 AM UTC
That's pretty cool, there would be an issue sourcing the gun though.

I have to agree with Arpad though, it's a pretty unique little vehicle, the only similar sort of vehicle that I can think of is the that Swedish 122mm on a 6x6 truck chassis. And those sorts of things always end up being used solely by the country that designed them.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:20 PM UTC
I may stand corrected, but I think we have to clarify one thing: from the pic of the back of the vehicle, it really seems to be based on the Nona K, so it is not a howitzer, but a gun capable of firing mortar shells, and capable of direct and indirect fire support -here it acts like a howitzer or a mortar-.
It has completely different internal design and phisics behavior than howitzers, meaning it has a very low recoil force -like mortars- opposed to the "dental cavity filler" removal recoil effect on howitzers...
Technically, the Nona K achieved a recoil reduction of about 30% thanks to the characteristic recoil brake of this versión.
Again, I may stand corrected, but for me its hard to figure how this kind of vehicle could handle the recoil of a 120mm howitzer
Anyway, the design makes me guess how useful it may be against enemy vehicles, as the Nona K was... It seems quite uneasy to aim it for direct fire, so it would loose one of the advantages of the original towed gun: its great flexibility against different targets and tasks.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its kind of a prototype, I see a 99% chance that it will never be fielded.

Yes, Szabo is 100%-right.
Our designers always had - and have now - full "bags" of different "future pictures", projects, models and dummies.
But when it is need to say about serial production of those stuffs and about the adoption of them in army inventory - we have not money enough for all these "fantasies".
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
I would have to agree with Paul on this. Come on Trumpeter.

Cheers,
Tom
 _GOTOTOP