_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Suggestions for 1/48th Kinetic tow rope
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 01:12 PM UTC
I'm a little stumped at present.

I can't seem to find anything that's "in-scale" enough to represent the Kinetic KERR style ropes commonly seen on British Warriors (amongst other vehicles). I may have to resort to traditional wire cabelling .........

cheers
Brent

ps it's for this .......

9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC
Try girls hair bobbles ! they come in all different sizes and some are just about right for 1/48 or 1/35.
They can be painted and can be bought in multi packs and are cheap. Give them a try I used them on one of my Land Rover models.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try girls hair bobbles ! they come in all different sizes and some are just about right for 1/48 or 1/35.
They can be painted and can be bought in multi packs and are cheap. Give them a try I used them on one of my Land Rover models.

Thanks Neil, that's one thing I never thought to try ....

Brent
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Neil, that's one thing I never thought to try ....

Brent

Good Idea there Neil, I've also used skinny woven trainer-type shoelaces, similar pattern to the KERR, but not in 1/48th
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:44 AM UTC
Brent.
Nice work and paint job Sir.

A small but important point to note is, the area just forward and behind where the 30mm RARDEN barrel passes through the front end of the trough is never painted but left Steel (Silver).

There are four damper/guides within the circular portion, which is opened by removing a retaining pin in order to speed up the unscrewing and removal of the barrel.

A small guage can be inserted between the dampers and the clean, unpainted portion to ensure the correct stand off distance from the barrel. Due to length of the barrel they are needed to help with the vibration/flexing during recoil.

Keep up this great work.

Keith.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent.
Nice work and paint job Sir.

A small but important point to note is, the area just forward and behind where the 30mm RARDEN barrel passes through the front end of the trough is never painted but left Steel (Silver).

There are four damper/guides within the circular portion, which is opened by removing a retaining pin in order to speed up the unscrewing and removal of the barrel.

A small guage can be inserted between the dampers and the clean, unpainted portion to ensure the correct stand off distance from the barrel. Due to length of the barrel they are needed to help with the vibration/flexing during recoil.

Keep up this great work.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, I've got plenty of little details to fix and add still and I must admit I missed adding that.

On another note you wouldn't happen to be able to help with the identification and use of some of the fitted equipment would you as my available refs don't cover the new fittings.

I hate modelling "gubbins" and not knowing what it does .....

cheers
Brent
 _GOTOTOP