_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British LVT-4 configurations?
Sneakysaurus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hi all,

Having just picked up the Italeri LVT-4 Water Buffalo kit cheaply, I want to build a British version of the vehicle.

Firstly, did these vehicles operate with any unit other than 79th Armoured Division in British service? (Other than 79th Div's vehicles being allocated to other units).

Secondly, I know that some, if not all LVT-4's in service were fitted with 20mm Polsten Guns, but were the British vehicles used in any other configuration?

Lastly, other than weaponry, were there any other changes to the vehicles, for examples sake, a command variant? Or the removal of the hull MG?

I would be grateful for any information, and if your information leads to any extra products, please try to make them low budget friendly!

EDIT: Perhaps looking at a couple of What If options as well, perhaps an Royal Marine Armoured Support Group version painted in the pinky brown colour their centaurs were painted in, or a post war modified APC version.

I live on the Kent coast, and I have heard that in a nearby town that some oyster farmers used LVTs after the war to go out and gather oysters. Does anyone know if this is true/have any pics?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi John

Just PM me your email and I'll send you some drawings for a few British variants.

H.P.

JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
The Italeri kit is a later production variant with additional armour on the sides and the co-ax MG in the hull front - earlier vehicles did not have the MG or the additional armour.

The Italeri configuration was the less common variant in British service (most were earlier vehicles, but late ones were used so you're OK doing it as a British vehicle.

A range of regiments used the LVT in NW Europe, but they were almost always attached to 79th Armd Div and some only used them for one or two operations before converting back to their primary tank role.

Vehicles were therefore transferred around to a degree and markings were often fairly generic. Those regiments that used them long term generally named the vehicles.

The Polsten cannon was used on some vehicles, but many retained the .30/.50 cal MGs so you have variation available.

Loads were very varied and depended on the task at hand. Infantry, Jeeps, Weasels, Universal carriers, 6pdr AT guns and stores/ammo/rations too.

11 RTR left a fascinating record of their ferry operations across the Elbe on 29/30 April 1945 - itemising individual vehicle movements, their loads, departure times, return times and in many cases cross-referenced against the vehicle's census number, Troop and name.

Regards,
John
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Royal Marine Armoured Support Group version painted in the pinky brown colour their centaurs were painted in

Just a note, the RMASG Centaurs were painted either SCC2 or SCC15. The split seems to be about 60-40 in favour of the SCC2, which is definitely a rich brown and without any "pink" in it at all. The colloqial description of SCC2 is "fresh dogsh!t brown".

It is unlikely that Lend Lease LVT-4s would have been painted in SCC2, however, as there were standing orders, by the time the LVTs started to enter Brit service, that the Lend Lease materiel would not be repainted unless needed and by that time the colour they would be painted if need be was SCC15 Olive Drab. Centaurs were only brown because they were built that way nearly a year earlier and had not needed repainting by June 44.

But thata's just background info, it's a what if, so you can do what you like, of course.
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi John,

I think there was an article in Military Modeling a few years ago, I will go and have a look through them for you if nobody has an idea of what year it was..... it covered the 20mm Polstens....

Anto
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi John,

I posted up some info about the LVTs back in 2006. Here's the thread. The data came from the National Archives.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/74863&page=1

1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry converted to LVTs for the Rhine Crossing. I have a listing of vehicle WD numbers by Squadron also from the archives. If you'd like a copy PM me your email address.

Cheers

Al
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 08:27 PM UTC
There was another related thread on ML :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1314835225/British+use+of+the+LVT+%28aka+%26quot%3BBuffalo%26quot%3B%29

HTH

H.P.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 09:41 PM UTC
A very colorfull version of a 79th AD (UK) medevac LVT can be found at www.the-blueprints.com site.
With big red cross roundels and a red cross flag.
Sneakysaurus
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

thanks for all the information, it is much appreciated.

I heard read that they were recovery and workshop variants in British service, Sealion and Turtle or something. Does anyone know if these vehicles were armed and if they had any extra equipment fitted?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:53 AM UTC
Bruce Crosby's Military Modeling article can be found online :

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/water-buffalo/3629

H.P.
Sneakysaurus
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks!

Extra thanks for H.P and Al for emailing me with extra information.
 _GOTOTOP